May 29, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
No big surprise here but Frenchman Franck Montagny has been confirmed as the first of two drivers for Andretti Autosport’s FIA Formula E program.
This means Montagny will have raced for Michael Andretti’s organization in sports cars (2008, ALMS Acura P2), IndyCar (2009 and 2014 Dallara-Hondas) and now FE. Montagny enjoyed being back in an IndyCar for the first time in five years at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, but was taken out by fellow GPI one-0ffer Martin Plowman mid-race.
“It is a great honor to be racing again with Andretti Autosport and Michael Andretti.” Montagny said in a team release. “I worked a great deal with the team in 2008 and 2009, and again this year, and working together on this new electric challenge will be exciting. I am convinced that this new fully-electric technology in the automotive industry will become a very important characteristic of our day to day lives in the future, and this high-level racing competition will very quickly bring new technical developments just as Formula 1 did in the past for everyday automobiles.”
Montagny also competed in F1 in 2006 and has 12 starts at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most recent coming in 2012 with OAK Racing.
The team will confirm its second driver, or drivers that could rotate, at a later date. Indianapolis 500 champion Ryan Hunter-Reay expressed some interest during the day after media day. With the Verizon IndyCar Series schedule concluding August 30, drivers are available once the FE season begins September 13, in Beijing.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 9
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3
- Health issues to sideline Brian Vickers for early part of 2015 Sprint Cup season 5