May 29, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
No big surprise here but Frenchman Franck Montagny has been confirmed as the first of two drivers for Andretti Autosport’s FIA Formula E program.
This means Montagny will have raced for Michael Andretti’s organization in sports cars (2008, ALMS Acura P2), IndyCar (2009 and 2014 Dallara-Hondas) and now FE. Montagny enjoyed being back in an IndyCar for the first time in five years at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, but was taken out by fellow GPI one-0ffer Martin Plowman mid-race.
“It is a great honor to be racing again with Andretti Autosport and Michael Andretti.” Montagny said in a team release. “I worked a great deal with the team in 2008 and 2009, and again this year, and working together on this new electric challenge will be exciting. I am convinced that this new fully-electric technology in the automotive industry will become a very important characteristic of our day to day lives in the future, and this high-level racing competition will very quickly bring new technical developments just as Formula 1 did in the past for everyday automobiles.”
Montagny also competed in F1 in 2006 and has 12 starts at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most recent coming in 2012 with OAK Racing.
The team will confirm its second driver, or drivers that could rotate, at a later date. Indianapolis 500 champion Ryan Hunter-Reay expressed some interest during the day after media day. With the Verizon IndyCar Series schedule concluding August 30, drivers are available once the FE season begins September 13, in Beijing.
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 4
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 13
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 6
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 4