May 29, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
After consecutive Prototype and GT Le Mans caution-free races in Long Beach and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship heads to Belle Isle Park for a P and GT Daytona round, with more than 30 cars planning to take the streets of Detroit.
A few news and notes ahead of the weekend:
- The top three pairs in P class points standings are separated by only three points. Joao Barbosa and Christian Fittipaldi have 127 for Action Express Racing, while the Chip Ganassi Racing (Scott Pruett/Memo Rojas) and Wayne Taylor Racing (brothers Jordan and Ricky) have 124 apiece. Monterey winners Ed Brown and Johannes van Overbeek, in the Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b P2-spec chassis, are fourth in points on 113.
- The 11 P-class cars are the same as in Monterey about a month ago, with the only change Olivier Pla back in to replace Alex Brundle in the No. 42 OAK Racing Morgan Nissan. The DeltaWing drops off, but was not planning to run Detroit anyway.
- In GTD, Magnus Racing (John Potter/Andy Lally) and AIM Autosport (Bill Sweedler/Townsend Bell) enter tied for the class points lead on 87 points. Flying Lizard’s pair of Spencer Pumpelly and Nelson Canache are tied on 83, with Alex Job’s Leh Keen and Cooper MacNeil next on 82.
- GTD entry changes: Sebastian Asch and Tomy Drissi will be in the No. 18 Muehlner Motorsports America Porsche 911 GT America, Brett Sandberg fills in for Patrick Dempsey’s Dempsey Racing No. 27 Porsche, Chris Cumming steps into the No. 64 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 alongside Kyle Marcelli, and Ben Barker is in the No. 81 GB Autosport Porsche alongside Damien Faulkner.
The 100-minute race is Saturday at 12:10 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 7
- The 2014 Milwaukee IndyFest weekend high on promise, with more positives than negatives 2
- NASCAR’s worst-kept secret is official: Carl Edwards joins Joe Gibbs Racing from 2015 4
- Report: Comcast’s Xfinity, NASCAR closer to series sponsorship deal 0
- Toro Rosso names Max Verstappen for 2015 race seat, to become youngest driver in F1 history 3
- Chase outlook brighter for some, cloudy for others after Michigan 0
- Power poised for IndyCar title following oval gains, Milwaukee domination 1