Rain washes out almost all Truck Series practice Thursday, qualifying cancelled; Kyle Busch looks for 4th win in 5 starts
May 29, 2014, 8:16 PM EST
All but 10 minutes of a combined 150 scheduled minutes of practice (over two sessions, one for one hour and the other for 90 minutes) for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series were rained out Thursday at Dover International Speedway.
As a result, NASCAR officials cancelled Friday’s qualifying for that evening’s Lucas Oil 200 and set the starting field for the race, the fifth of the season, via the rule book.
NASCAR will allow trucks drivers to use the originally scheduled time for qualifying on Friday – 12:40 pm ET until about 1:45 pm ET – as the one and only full practice session prior to that evening’s race.
Only 26 of the 35 trucks entered into the event managed to get on the one-mile high-banked concrete oval for 10 minutes before rain fell once again.
Kyle Busch, whose team is atop the owners points, will start from the pole. Busch has won three of the first four races in the NCWTS this season, and is also the defending champion of this race from last season.
In addition, Busch took advantage of the small amount of time on the track Thursday, laying down the fastest lap at 156.488 mph.
Per series rules, current points leader Matt Crafton will start on the outside pole. German Quiroga Jr. and Red Horse Racing teammate Timothy Peters will start from the third and fourth positions, while Tyler Reddick will start from the fifth spot.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 9
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3
- Health issues to sideline Brian Vickers for early part of 2015 Sprint Cup season 5