May 29, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
Gene Haas’ highly-anticipated entry to Formula One will be pushed back from 2015 to 2016, according to a report by Motorsport.com.
Earlier this week, Haas told the web site timing is becoming a significant issue to get an F1 team operating and on track by the start of the 2015 season.
“It just seems that it’s taking longer to accomplish what we wanted to do than we thought,” Haas told Motorsport.com. “It’s already June, so it’s (the start of the 2015 season) just seven months away and the timing issues are starting to get real crazy.”
Logistics are a significant part of the delay for the organization, which hasn’t even made a selection of a potential driver or drivers for what is expected to be a two-car team.
“We have a list of names, but the problem is a lot of times they’re already working for somebody and they can’t get out of their contracts for three to six months,” Haas told the web site. “So there’s a lot of those contractual issues that have to be resolved before someone can come over.”
In terms of motors and chassis for his F1 operation, Haas told the web site that he was “leaning towards” an affiliation with Ferrari because “they’re more open to what we need to do.”
Haas might still be interested in purchasing an existing team. NBCSports.com’s Luke Smith reported Sunday that the Caterham F1 team is up for sale.
While Haas was determined to get his team up and running for 2015, having an additional year now gives him roughly 19 months to take a more pronounced and methodical approach that could help the team achieve success in time, rather than attempt to rush the effort for next season.
There has been no other independent confirmation of Haas’ reported delay other than the Motorsport.com story.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 1
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 1
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 3
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 12
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0