May 30, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Chase Elliott‘s lap of 157.618 miles per hour was enough to top today’s first practice session for Saturday’s Buckle Up 200 for the NASCAR Nationwide Series at Dover International Speedway.
Elliott also had the best consecutive 10-lap average in the session, logging an average of 154.132 mph between Laps 30-39. He’s seeking to reclaim the Nationwide championship lead after losing it due to a 37th-place finish (mechanical) last weekend in Charlotte.
Running P2 right behind Elliott this morning was Richard Childress Racing part-timer Cale Conley. The K&N Pro Series East product turned in a lap of 155.602 mph, a touch faster than RCR regular Ty Dillon in third (155.521 mph).
Logano has won the last four Nationwide events at Dover, and a win on Saturday would tie a NASCAR national series record for most consecutive wins at a track (Jack Ingram at South Boston, Dale Earnhardt Sr. at Daytona, Kyle Busch at Texas).
“To be in that group of guys that have won five races at a row at a race track with Dale Earnhardt, Kyle Busch and Jack Ingram, it would be an honor to be there,” Logano said this morning.
“…This is definitely my favorite track and it is close to home for me. I grew up in Connecticut and we aren’t too far down the road from there. This is a neat place to run at.”
Last week’s winner at Charlotte, Kyle Larson, was sixth on the time sheets this morning (154.852). Brian Scott, Elliott Sadler, new NNS points leader Regan Smith, and Trevor Bayne rounded out the Top 10.
The Nationwide contingent will hold a second practice later this afternoon at 2 p.m. ET.
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0