May 30, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
It’s likely that at least some old-fashioned and conservative race team owners scoffed when cybercurrency Dogecoin and loyal Reddit.com users got together to help fund Josh Wise last month at Talladega (and will do so again there later this fall) and then voted him into the Sprint All-Star Race.
Now there’s another crowdfunding effort afoot by the Dogecoin/Reddit aficionados to help fund another driver in an upcoming race.
Only this time it’ll be across the Pacific Ocean and in the Australian V8 Supercar series.
According to Jalopnik.com’s Patrick George, “a crowdfunding effort on Dogeraiser called #SuperV8Doge aims to sponsor driver Lee Holdsworth’s Erebus AMG Mercedes E63 racer at the Townsville 500 in July. Their goal is to raise 110 million Dogecoin for the Doge artwork on the car, clothing items and pit wall, and an associated media campaign. That’s about U.S. $50,000.
“… They have 20 days left and are at more than half their goal.”
Erebus Motorsport manager Jeff Reibel told Speedcafe.com that donations have already started to roll in to support Holdsworth’s Mercedes.
“From there, there are other levels of funding that go onto the bonnet (hood) and other major inventory on the car that can be achieved (through more donations), all the way up to the major branding package (the full car),” Reibel said.
Reibel has studied how Wise and team owner Phil Parsons were able to maximize the Dogecoin/Reddit involvement and believes much of how that evolved can be duplicated with his own team.
“This is an opportunity to engage a whole new fan base online,” Reibel said. “We saw what happened with Josh Wise, who is a guy that doesn’t race full-time, beating Danica Patrick in the All-Star vote. More eyeballs to our sport and more interest in our sport can only lead to better outcomes for everyone.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3