May 30, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Different circuit, different downforce levels and a different city, but the same guy is on top as he was on Sunday in the Indianapolis 500.
Ryan Hunter-Reay paced the first of two Friday 45-minute practice sessions for the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans at Belle Isle Park. Hunter-Reay, driving the No. 28 DHL Honda, clocked in at 1:18.8595 and was one of three drivers in the 1:18 range.
The other two to do so were Justin Wilson and Helio Castroneves. Simon Pagenaud and Tony Kanaan completed the top five.
Second practice occurs from 3:20 to 4:05 p.m.
Here’s your session times.
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1