May 30, 2014, 6:29 PM EST
In a great back-and-forth bout, Richard Westbrook edged Ryan Dalziel for the pole position for Saturday’s Chevrolet Sports Car Class Presented by the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers, the Belle Isle Park round of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
Dalziel moved to the top near the end of the 15-minute session in the No. 1 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b, at 1:25.029, before Westbrook one-upped him in the final moments at 1:25.011 in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP.
Overall, the top six featured four Daytona Prototype-spec cars and two P2-spec cars, separated by only 0.765 of a second at the 2.35-mile street course.
In GT Daytona, Spencer Pumpelly took his second straight class pole position in the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS at 1:32.914. Five manufacturers finished in the top five positions (Audi, SRT Viper, Porsche, BMW and Aston Martin).
Westbrook will co-drive with Michael Valiante; Pumpelly with Nelson Canache. Saturday’s race commences at 12:10 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 11
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2