May 30, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
In a great back-and-forth bout, Richard Westbrook edged Ryan Dalziel for the pole position for Saturday’s Chevrolet Sports Car Class Presented by the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers, the Belle Isle Park round of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
Dalziel moved to the top near the end of the 15-minute session in the No. 1 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b, at 1:25.029, before Westbrook one-upped him in the final moments at 1:25.011 in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP.
Overall, the top six featured four Daytona Prototype-spec cars and two P2-spec cars, separated by only 0.765 of a second at the 2.35-mile street course.
In GT Daytona, Spencer Pumpelly took his second straight class pole position in the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS at 1:32.914. Five manufacturers finished in the top five positions (Audi, SRT Viper, Porsche, BMW and Aston Martin).
Westbrook will co-drive with Michael Valiante; Pumpelly with Nelson Canache. Saturday’s race commences at 12:10 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 0
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0