May 30, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
In a great back-and-forth bout, Richard Westbrook edged Ryan Dalziel for the pole position for Saturday’s Chevrolet Sports Car Class Presented by the Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers, the Belle Isle Park round of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
Dalziel moved to the top near the end of the 15-minute session in the No. 1 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b, at 1:25.029, before Westbrook one-upped him in the final moments at 1:25.011 in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP.
Overall, the top six featured four Daytona Prototype-spec cars and two P2-spec cars, separated by only 0.765 of a second at the 2.35-mile street course.
In GT Daytona, Spencer Pumpelly took his second straight class pole position in the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS at 1:32.914. Five manufacturers finished in the top five positions (Audi, SRT Viper, Porsche, BMW and Aston Martin).
Westbrook will co-drive with Michael Valiante; Pumpelly with Nelson Canache. Saturday’s race commences at 12:10 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1