Jeff Gordon on back problems: “I wouldn’t say I’m 100%”

May 30, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Fedex 400 Benefiting Autism Speaks - Qualifying Getty Images

Sprint Cup points leader Jeff Gordon gutted out the Coca-Cola 600 despite dealing with back spasms, and he’s set to do it again this weekend at Dover International Speedway.

Gordon, who won at Kansas earlier this month to secure a place in the Chase Grid, noted that while he’s still feeling residual effects after NASCAR’s longest race, he’ll be good to go for the FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks.

“I wouldn’t say I’m 100%,” said Gordon, who does have a degenerative disc and needed an epidural and a Cortisone shot for treatment last week.

“I’m back closer to normal, which is just always aggravation and some discomfort. I’m still feeling some of the effects of what went on last week, but I felt good in the car. I didn’t have any sharp pains, so that’s good.

“I just had a week of rest and normal activity – lots of ice this week. I was pretty sore on Monday and Tuesday after that long 600, but that’s not totally unusual; but probably just a little bit more than normal because of all that I went through. So, I feel good for this weekend.”

Nonetheless, the four-time Cup champion indicated that the matter was a wake-up call to him – not just regarding his conditioning but about possibly being forced to hang up his helmet.

“I think that it really more pointed toward some things that I have to address throughout a race weekend and how I handle the downtime,” he said. “I’ve been working a lot harder on my training and riding a bike and exercising and the problem with that is that it tightens everything up even more so than normal.

“If I don’t stay loose and ice and do other things that keep me loose when I get to the race weekend, what happened could possible occur again. So, that’s the biggest thing I’m focused on; not thinking or focusing on anything else. I can tell you if that happens many more times, I won’t have a choice [regarding retirement].”

But despite talk of the R-word, Gordon is having none of it. While not annoyed by such chatter, he insists his focus is on remaining as consistent as he has been on the track and contending for a fifth Cup title this fall.

“I think that if anything, [the 600] only built more momentum for our race team to go through what we went through, he said.

“And to go have that kind of a race – to show the team what kind of determination I have as well as kind of show our competitors that it’s going to take a lot to get us down – I think that did more good for us for this season and our chances for a championship than anything else.”

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR: Rudd, Jarrett, Bobby Labonte look back on Brickyard 400 triumphs

Jul 22, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT

Ricky Rudd Getty Images

Time has not lessened the significance of winning at Indy for these three NASCAR standouts.

2. NASCAR: This time at Indy, it’s just stock cars for Kurt Busch

Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

(Photo: Scott Halleran/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Outlaw returns to Indianapolis for the first time since his Indy 500-Coke 600 double back in May.

3. IndyCar: Want Juan Pablo Montoya’s penthouse? It’ll cost you – a lot

Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

montoya3 Getty Images

The Team Penske pilot is putting up his six-bedroom Miami penthouse for a cool $14 million. Better start saving up…

4. NASCAR: Roush camp looking for speed in Michigan test

Jul 22, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

AAA Texas 500 Getty Images

Seeking to catch up with their Ford stablemates at Team Penske, Roush Fenway Racing’s trio of Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. have been searching for speed in a two-day test session at Michigan International Speedway.

5. Indy’s new scoring pylon is quite colorful (PHOTOS)

Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway

The new, 92-foot pylon is made up of four LED panels capable of video animations that relay race info to fans.

6. MRTI: Cape’s Toronto sweep; Burkett’s latest videos; other odds and ends

Jul 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Recapping the future stars of IndyCar in action at Toronto this weekend.

7. Report: Mexican Grand Prix set for 2015 return?

Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

Grand Premio Tecate Getty Images

A report from Mexico says that Bernie Ecclestone has signed a five-year pact to bring F1 to Mexico City’s Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez starting next season.

8. IndyCar: Hinchcliffe continues to endure home race house of horrors

Jul 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

HinchTOR3 Getty Images

A miserable home weekend in Toronto strikes James Hinchcliffe yet again.

9. Claire Williams gives vote of confidence for Felipe Massa

Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Practice Getty Images

Williams’ deputy team principal on Massa: “He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes, things don’t go your way.”

10. Realistically, could Toronto IndyCar shift date to CTMP?

Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

CTMPWide Getty Images

Given politics, dates and dreams, could an IndyCar race at CTMP be possible?

11. Formula E: Jerome d’Ambrosio confirmed with Dragon Racing

Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

JDAFE Getty Images

Ex-F1 shoe Jerome d’Ambrosio gets signed up for new FE series.

12. Kyle Larson, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan featured in Cottonelle ads (VIDEO)

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

LarsonCottonelle Getty Images

Kyle Larson’s got a new house, a new kid on the way and now a new Cottonelle ad he might not be able to live down.

13. Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale

Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff calls double points “unfair.”

14. IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations

Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

TorontoAnalysis Getty Images

MST’s Tony DiZinno recaps the weekend in Toronto, that featured a host of surprises.

15. IndyCar: Gaps grow, but few major changes in points over last month

Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

The stretch of six races in four weekends is over, as is the stretch of doubleheader weekends for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season. Here’s the points breakdown.

16. Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch

Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT

Chase Elliott after Saturday's win at Chicagoland Speedway. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.

17. NASCAR: Bubba Wallace prepares for Eldora’s “Mudsummer Classic” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT

(Photo: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images) Getty Images

For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.

18. NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary”

Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Brian France AP

In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.

19. IMSA: IndyCar rookie Hawksworth to make sports car debut in Brickyard GP

Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Jack Hawksworth AP

Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

20. Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate

Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Will the 16th time be the charm for Tony Stewart in Sunday's Daytona 500? Getty Images

Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.