May 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
In the first race of the new Formula DRIFT PRO 2 intermediate series, Geoff Stoneback earned the victory at Homestead-Miami Speedway in his Nissan S14.
Stoneback held off a strong challenge in the finals by runnerup Nate Hamilton in a Nissan 240 SX to not only take the checkered flag, but also assumed the top spot in the Pro 2 standings.
Finishing third was Carl Rydquist in a Nissan 350Z.
It was a long day running both in the Pro Championship and PRO 2,” Stoneback said. “It was definitely great to run in PRO 2 as it bridges the gap between the Pro Championship and PRO 2. We are happy to be on the podium and the team did great.”
The PRO 2 series was introduced to serve as an intermediary league for drivers, particularly those who have previously competed in the Pro-Am series, to eventually climb to the higher level Formula Drift Pro Championship series.
“PRO 2 proved to be successful in delivering quality competition for the Friday fans,” said Jim Liaw, Formula DRIFT president. “The PRO 2 drivers are able to compete against each other while gaining valuable experience on the professional level.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT PRO 2 season continues with Round 2 on July 18-19 at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, Wash.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PRO 2 Round 1 Event Results
Winner: Geoff Stoneback, GSR Nissan S14
2nd: Nate Hamilton, ONE44 Motorsports / Enkei Wheels Nissan 240SX
3rd: Carl Rydquist, Road Race Engineering / Berk Nissan 350Z
Formula DRIFT PRO 2 Standings After One Round
1. Geoff Stoneback, GSR Nissan S14, 107.50 points
2. Nate Hamilton, ONE44 Motorsports / Enkei Wheels Nissan 240SX, 84.50 points
3. Carl Rydquist, Road Race Engineering / Berk Nissan 350Z, 74.00 points
4. Jeremy Lowe, Enjuku Racing Mazda RX-7, 67.00 points
5. Dan Savage, Sikky Manufacturing Mazda RX-8, 52.50 points
6. Brad Heyl, Standard Automotive Apparel / Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z, 52.50 points
7. Will Parsons, NonStop Tuning AutoComp Racing Toyota AE86, 52.50 points
8. Dave Briggs, Achilles Radial / Turbo by Garrett Nissan S14, 51.00 points
9. Rob Primozich, Garage Autohero Track Attack Nissan 240SX, 38.00 points
10. Matt Coffman, Matt Coffman Racing / PSI Nissan S13, 36.50 points
11. Tyler Wolfson, GT Radial SAE Motorsport Mazda RX-7, 35.00 Points
12. James Evans, Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z, 35.00 points
13. Doug Van Den Brink, Denofa Motorsports BMW, 35.00 points
14. Andy Hateley, Hately Motorsports BMW E30 325i, 35.00 points
15. Ron Ewerth, Vision / Buddyclub / BRE Scion FR-S, 35.00 points
16. Tony Cisneros, 116 Motorsports Nissan 240SX, 35.00 points
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 1
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 15
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 1
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 5
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1