May 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
In the first race of the new Formula DRIFT PRO 2 intermediate series, Geoff Stoneback earned the victory at Homestead-Miami Speedway in his Nissan S14.
Stoneback held off a strong challenge in the finals by runnerup Nate Hamilton in a Nissan 240 SX to not only take the checkered flag, but also assumed the top spot in the Pro 2 standings.
Finishing third was Carl Rydquist in a Nissan 350Z.
It was a long day running both in the Pro Championship and PRO 2,” Stoneback said. “It was definitely great to run in PRO 2 as it bridges the gap between the Pro Championship and PRO 2. We are happy to be on the podium and the team did great.”
The PRO 2 series was introduced to serve as an intermediary league for drivers, particularly those who have previously competed in the Pro-Am series, to eventually climb to the higher level Formula Drift Pro Championship series.
“PRO 2 proved to be successful in delivering quality competition for the Friday fans,” said Jim Liaw, Formula DRIFT president. “The PRO 2 drivers are able to compete against each other while gaining valuable experience on the professional level.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT PRO 2 season continues with Round 2 on July 18-19 at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, Wash.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PRO 2 Round 1 Event Results
Winner: Geoff Stoneback, GSR Nissan S14
2nd: Nate Hamilton, ONE44 Motorsports / Enkei Wheels Nissan 240SX
3rd: Carl Rydquist, Road Race Engineering / Berk Nissan 350Z
Formula DRIFT PRO 2 Standings After One Round
1. Geoff Stoneback, GSR Nissan S14, 107.50 points
2. Nate Hamilton, ONE44 Motorsports / Enkei Wheels Nissan 240SX, 84.50 points
3. Carl Rydquist, Road Race Engineering / Berk Nissan 350Z, 74.00 points
4. Jeremy Lowe, Enjuku Racing Mazda RX-7, 67.00 points
5. Dan Savage, Sikky Manufacturing Mazda RX-8, 52.50 points
6. Brad Heyl, Standard Automotive Apparel / Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z, 52.50 points
7. Will Parsons, NonStop Tuning AutoComp Racing Toyota AE86, 52.50 points
8. Dave Briggs, Achilles Radial / Turbo by Garrett Nissan S14, 51.00 points
9. Rob Primozich, Garage Autohero Track Attack Nissan 240SX, 38.00 points
10. Matt Coffman, Matt Coffman Racing / PSI Nissan S13, 36.50 points
11. Tyler Wolfson, GT Radial SAE Motorsport Mazda RX-7, 35.00 Points
12. James Evans, Sikky Manufacturing Nissan 350Z, 35.00 points
13. Doug Van Den Brink, Denofa Motorsports BMW, 35.00 points
14. Andy Hateley, Hately Motorsports BMW E30 325i, 35.00 points
15. Ron Ewerth, Vision / Buddyclub / BRE Scion FR-S, 35.00 points
16. Tony Cisneros, 116 Motorsports Nissan 240SX, 35.00 points
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage plans to talk with IndyCar about potential changes to cars 4
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4