May 31, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
2013 Detroit Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud caused the first yellow flag at the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans Dual 1.
The defending Saturday winner, Mike Conway, joined him in the unfortunate early retirement club just afterwards to cause the second yellow of the day for Round 6 of the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Conway hit the wall exiting Turn 12, the second-to-last right-hander on Lap 15, which put pause to his race from the top five before it ever really had a chance to get going.
Conway started on Firestone’s primary tires and held pace against the softer, faster reds.
“We just got a little understeer and got in the tires,” Conway’s team boss Ed Carpenter told ESPN’s Rick DeBruhl. “We hit our fuel numbers. That’s the way it goes sometimes. The way he sounded, he felt bad. It’s been a hard couple races for us.”
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3