May 31, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
2013 Detroit Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud caused the first yellow flag at the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans Dual 1.
The defending Saturday winner, Mike Conway, joined him in the unfortunate early retirement club just afterwards to cause the second yellow of the day for Round 6 of the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Conway hit the wall exiting Turn 12, the second-to-last right-hander on Lap 15, which put pause to his race from the top five before it ever really had a chance to get going.
Conway started on Firestone’s primary tires and held pace against the softer, faster reds.
“We just got a little understeer and got in the tires,” Conway’s team boss Ed Carpenter told ESPN’s Rick DeBruhl. “We hit our fuel numbers. That’s the way it goes sometimes. The way he sounded, he felt bad. It’s been a hard couple races for us.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 5