May 31, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
2013 Detroit Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud caused the first yellow flag at the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans Dual 1.
The defending Saturday winner, Mike Conway, joined him in the unfortunate early retirement club just afterwards to cause the second yellow of the day for Round 6 of the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Conway hit the wall exiting Turn 12, the second-to-last right-hander on Lap 15, which put pause to his race from the top five before it ever really had a chance to get going.
Conway started on Firestone’s primary tires and held pace against the softer, faster reds.
“We just got a little understeer and got in the tires,” Conway’s team boss Ed Carpenter told ESPN’s Rick DeBruhl. “We hit our fuel numbers. That’s the way it goes sometimes. The way he sounded, he felt bad. It’s been a hard couple races for us.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1