May 31, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
2013 Detroit Race 2 winner Simon Pagenaud caused the first yellow flag at the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans Dual 1.
The defending Saturday winner, Mike Conway, joined him in the unfortunate early retirement club just afterwards to cause the second yellow of the day for Round 6 of the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Conway hit the wall exiting Turn 12, the second-to-last right-hander on Lap 15, which put pause to his race from the top five before it ever really had a chance to get going.
Conway started on Firestone’s primary tires and held pace against the softer, faster reds.
“We just got a little understeer and got in the tires,” Conway’s team boss Ed Carpenter told ESPN’s Rick DeBruhl. “We hit our fuel numbers. That’s the way it goes sometimes. The way he sounded, he felt bad. It’s been a hard couple races for us.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2