May 31, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Vaughn Gittin Jr. out-drove points leader Chris Forsberg in the final round to earn his second consecutive victory in this weekend’s Formula DRIFT “Round 3: Miami Heat” event at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Gittin and his Monster Energy/Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR held off Forsberg and his Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z to win his second win in the series’ first three events.
“It feels really amazing to be here and come to a brand new track and work with my team to get my Monster Energy, Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR on rails to be able to hit every mark and compete with some of the best drivers in the world,” Gittin said. “Back-to-back wins is just amazing and we are working hard and it just feels good that it’s paying off and I’m just pumped.”
While Forsberg kept things close, Gittin earned just enough points to not only win the event, but also to move into second place in the Formula DRIFT standings, just 10 points behind Forsberg.
Kenny Moen, in the Achilles Radial/Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX, finished third.
It was the first time that the Formula DRIFT series has raced at HMS.
“Homestead-Miami Speedway provided a great new venue for our Championship,” Formula DRIFT president Jim Liaw said. “The increasingly bigger fan base was treated to some impressive driving all weekend with the first event PRO 2 Series competition and Round 3 of the Pro Championship.”
The 2014 Formula DRIFT Championship season continues with Round 4: The Gauntlet at Wall Speedway in New Jersey on June 20-21.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro Round 3: Miami Heat Event Results
Winner: Vaughn Gittin Jr., Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR
2nd: Chris Forsberg, Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z
3rd: Kenny Moen Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship Presented by GoPro 2014 Standings After Three Rounds:
1. Chris Forsberg, Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z, 263.00 points
2. Vaughn Gittin Jr., Monster Energy / Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR, 253.00 points
3. Kenneth Moen, Bridges Racing Nissan 240SX, 205.50 points
4. Fredric Aasbo, Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC, 189.50 points
5. Justin Pawlak, Falken Tire Ford Mustang, 140.00 points
6. Robbie Nishida, Achilles Radial / Bridges Racing Lexus SC300, 132.50 points
7. Forrest Wang, Get Nuts Lab / Hankook Tire / STR Racing Nissan S14,129.50 points
8. Aurimas Bakchis,Feal Suspension / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX, 121.00 points
9. Tyler McQuarrie, GoPro Mobil 1Chevrolet Camaro, 114.00 points
10. Michael Essa, Essa Autosport / Yokohama BMW M3, 109.00 points
11. Darren McNamara, Falken Tire Nissan S14, 102.00 points
12. Chelsea DeNofa, BC Racing Nitto Tire BMW 3-Series, 92.00 points
13. Conrad Grunewald, Megan Racing / Top 1 Oil / BRE Chevrolet Camaro, 90.50 points
14. Ryan Tuerck, Retaks Maxxis Tires Air Force PSI Scion FR-S, 90.50 points
15. Ken Gushi, GReddy Performance X Scion Racing Drift FR-S V2, 89.00 points
16. Matt Field, CX Racing / Nitto Tire Nissan 240SX, 84.50 points
Manufacturers Championship Standings After Three Rounds:
1. Ford 393.00 points
2. Nissan 334.50 points
3. Scion 312.00 points
4. Chevy 204.50 points
5. BMW 201.00 points
Tire Championship Standings After Three Rounds:
1. Hankook 452.50 points
2. Nitto 422.00 points
3. Achilles 338.00 points
4. Falken 242.00 points
5. Yokohama 128.00 points
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 8
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0
- Conway bags second Toronto win thanks to pit gamble, great restart (VIDEO) 4