Jun 1, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
And if Darrell Waltrip’s body language and hinting is any indication, neither driver will be back with Roush Fenway Racing.
During Sunday’s prerace show on FOX, anchor Chris Myers asked Waltrip if the two free agents are leaving RFR, and if so, where will their new home in 2015 be.
The first part of Waltrip’s reply wasn’t totally surprising.
“Here’s my prediction,” Waltrip said. “Carl will stay with Ford. I don’t know if it’ll stay at Roush. It might be with Penske, but he will stay with Ford.”
But then Waltrip dropped an obvious bombshell.
Reaching over to put his right hand on the shoulder of younger brother Michael, who just happens to own Michael Waltrip Racing, DW’s body language and then verbiage said it all – and left Michael staring straight ahead almost in shock.
“And Greg Biffle will go to some two-car team that maybe one time had a third car,” Darrell Waltrip said.
(MWR was a three-car team prior to this season, after NAPA left at the end of 2013 in the fallout of the race manipulation scandal at Richmond last fall.)
In an attempt to quickly try and cover up what his older brother just said – and obviously deflect that scenario (probably because MWR isn’t ready to make a potential announcement yet) – Michael gave his take on it.
With a very non-plussed look upon his face.
“Uhhhhhh, I think Carl goes and Greg stays,” Michael Waltrip said. “I think the Biff stays at Roush, he’s going to be the veteran, the anchor to that rookie lineup for the young guys that are going to race at Roush. So, he goes, the other cat stays.”
By saying “he goes” after just talking about Biffle, there’s an implication that Michael may have just confirmed what Darrell predicted.
Don’t you just love brotherly love?
Updated: MWR co-owner Rob Kaufman tweeted this about an hour after Waltrip’s report, adding further ammo to DW’s analysis.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 90
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 5
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 15
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1