Skip to content

Did Darrell Waltrip just drop bombshell: Edwards to Penske, Biffle to MWR?

Jun 1, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT

20140601_123111_resized

Old DW may have just spilled the beans on where Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle will wind up next season.

And if Darrell Waltrip’s body language and hinting is any indication, neither driver will be back with Roush Fenway Racing.

During Sunday’s prerace show on FOX, anchor Chris Myers asked Waltrip if the two free agents are leaving RFR, and if so, where will their new home in 2015 be.

The first part of Waltrip’s reply wasn’t totally surprising.

“Here’s my prediction,” Waltrip said. “Carl will stay with Ford. I don’t know if it’ll stay at Roush. It might be with Penske, but he will stay with Ford.”

But then Waltrip dropped an obvious bombshell.

Reaching over to put his right hand on the shoulder of younger brother Michael, who just happens to own Michael Waltrip Racing, DW’s body language and then verbiage said it all – and left Michael staring straight ahead almost in shock.

“And Greg Biffle will go to some two-car team that maybe one time had a third car,” Darrell Waltrip said.

(MWR was a three-car team prior to this season, after NAPA left at the end of 2013 in the fallout of the race manipulation scandal at Richmond last fall.)

In an attempt to quickly try and cover up what his older brother just said – and obviously deflect that scenario (probably because MWR isn’t ready to make a potential announcement yet) – Michael gave his take on it.

With a very non-plussed look upon his face.

“Uhhhhhh, I think Carl goes and Greg stays,” Michael Waltrip said. “I think the Biff stays at Roush, he’s going to be the veteran, the anchor to that rookie lineup for the young guys that are going to race at Roush. So, he goes, the other cat stays.”

By saying “he goes” after just talking about Biffle, there’s an implication that Michael may have just confirmed what Darrell predicted.

Don’t you just love brotherly love?

Updated: MWR co-owner Rob Kaufman tweeted this about an hour after Waltrip’s report, adding further ammo to DW’s analysis.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

  1. mikeystyles - Jun 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

    Thought Penske already spoke about this more than once & withdrew his name from being a possibility…..than again last week (3rd time) said he wasn’t running 3 cars next yr & is very high on Ryan Blaney. This is just an obvious PR stunt by DW to get the rumor mill turning again.

  2. indycar02 - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM

    if carl goes to penske, where does brad or joey go? or does brad want to try indycar (like bush).

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Video from NASCAR America

Dale Jr. not worried about Chase struggles
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches
  1. J. Gordon (1518)
  2. K. Harvick (1449)
  3. K. Busch (1285)
  4. J. Coulter (1148)
  5. R. Blaney (1102)