Jun 1, 2014, 2:02 PM EST
One of the more recurring knocks against the Verizon IndyCar Series in recent years is the perceived lack of rivalries – or, at least, rivalries with a distinct bitterness between drivers and/or teams.
However, one such rivalry appears to have emerged between Will Power and Simon Pagenaud, who collided with each other earlier this season at Long Beach and did the same in yesterday’s first race of the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit.
Early on yesterday, Power’s car appeared to drift toward the outside at Turn 6, then made contact with the front end of Pagenaud’s car and left it with suspension damage.
The two have had differing opinions on that incident, and for today’s second race of the weekend (3:30 p.m. ET, check local listings), they’ll be starting together in Row 4.
Naturally, IndyCar has chosen to feature Power and Pagenaud prominently in their launch campaign for the social media hashtag #IndyRivals.
With Muse’s pulse-quickening “Knights of Cydonia” in the background, Pagenaud delivers a commentary on the pressures of IndyCar racing over a montage of close racing and gnarly crashes. You can check out the clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 11
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3