Jun 1, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
One of the more recurring knocks against the Verizon IndyCar Series in recent years is the perceived lack of rivalries – or, at least, rivalries with a distinct bitterness between drivers and/or teams.
However, one such rivalry appears to have emerged between Will Power and Simon Pagenaud, who collided with each other earlier this season at Long Beach and did the same in yesterday’s first race of the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit.
Early on yesterday, Power’s car appeared to drift toward the outside at Turn 6, then made contact with the front end of Pagenaud’s car and left it with suspension damage.
The two have had differing opinions on that incident, and for today’s second race of the weekend (3:30 p.m. ET, check local listings), they’ll be starting together in Row 4.
Naturally, IndyCar has chosen to feature Power and Pagenaud prominently in their launch campaign for the social media hashtag #IndyRivals.
With Muse’s pulse-quickening “Knights of Cydonia” in the background, Pagenaud delivers a commentary on the pressures of IndyCar racing over a montage of close racing and gnarly crashes. You can check out the clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2