Jun 1, 2014, 2:02 PM EST
One of the more recurring knocks against the Verizon IndyCar Series in recent years is the perceived lack of rivalries – or, at least, rivalries with a distinct bitterness between drivers and/or teams.
However, one such rivalry appears to have emerged between Will Power and Simon Pagenaud, who collided with each other earlier this season at Long Beach and did the same in yesterday’s first race of the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit.
Early on yesterday, Power’s car appeared to drift toward the outside at Turn 6, then made contact with the front end of Pagenaud’s car and left it with suspension damage.
The two have had differing opinions on that incident, and for today’s second race of the weekend (3:30 p.m. ET, check local listings), they’ll be starting together in Row 4.
Naturally, IndyCar has chosen to feature Power and Pagenaud prominently in their launch campaign for the social media hashtag #IndyRivals.
With Muse’s pulse-quickening “Knights of Cydonia” in the background, Pagenaud delivers a commentary on the pressures of IndyCar racing over a montage of close racing and gnarly crashes. You can check out the clip above.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1