Jun 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Takuma Sato in the No. 14 ABC Supply Co. Honda has secured the Verizon P1 Award for Sunday’s second dual Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans.
It’s Sato’s second pole of the season and his third with A.J. Foyt Enterprises, after also grabbing the top spot at Foyt’s home race of Houston last year. He opened the year with the pole position at St. Petersburg. This marks his fifth career Verizon IndyCar Series pole.
James Hinchcliffe led the first group’s 12-minute session at 1:16.3739, which was a new track record at the 2.35-mile circuit. But Sato beat it with a flier of 1:16.1371, which now sets the new mark.
Both drivers get a point for pacing their respective groups. Sato’s group will start on the inside positions 1-21, with Hinchcliffe’s on the outside 2-22. For Hinchcliffe, he matches his second starting position in race one and has his fourth P2 start of the season.
Times from both groups are below.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 0
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2