Jun 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
Takuma Sato in the No. 14 ABC Supply Co. Honda has secured the Verizon P1 Award for Sunday’s second dual Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans.
It’s Sato’s second pole of the season and his third with A.J. Foyt Enterprises, after also grabbing the top spot at Foyt’s home race of Houston last year. He opened the year with the pole position at St. Petersburg. This marks his fifth career Verizon IndyCar Series pole.
James Hinchcliffe led the first group’s 12-minute session at 1:16.3739, which was a new track record at the 2.35-mile circuit. But Sato beat it with a flier of 1:16.1371, which now sets the new mark.
Both drivers get a point for pacing their respective groups. Sato’s group will start on the inside positions 1-21, with Hinchcliffe’s on the outside 2-22. For Hinchcliffe, he matches his second starting position in race one and has his fourth P2 start of the season.
Times from both groups are below.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 0
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 13
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 20