Jun 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Takuma Sato in the No. 14 ABC Supply Co. Honda has secured the Verizon P1 Award for Sunday’s second dual Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans.
It’s Sato’s second pole of the season and his third with A.J. Foyt Enterprises, after also grabbing the top spot at Foyt’s home race of Houston last year. He opened the year with the pole position at St. Petersburg. This marks his fifth career Verizon IndyCar Series pole.
James Hinchcliffe led the first group’s 12-minute session at 1:16.3739, which was a new track record at the 2.35-mile circuit. But Sato beat it with a flier of 1:16.1371, which now sets the new mark.
Both drivers get a point for pacing their respective groups. Sato’s group will start on the inside positions 1-21, with Hinchcliffe’s on the outside 2-22. For Hinchcliffe, he matches his second starting position in race one and has his fourth P2 start of the season.
Times from both groups are below.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 0
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 4
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15