Jun 1, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Takuma Sato in the No. 14 ABC Supply Co. Honda has secured the Verizon P1 Award for Sunday’s second dual Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans.
It’s Sato’s second pole of the season and his third with A.J. Foyt Enterprises, after also grabbing the top spot at Foyt’s home race of Houston last year. He opened the year with the pole position at St. Petersburg. This marks his fifth career Verizon IndyCar Series pole.
James Hinchcliffe led the first group’s 12-minute session at 1:16.3739, which was a new track record at the 2.35-mile circuit. But Sato beat it with a flier of 1:16.1371, which now sets the new mark.
Both drivers get a point for pacing their respective groups. Sato’s group will start on the inside positions 1-21, with Hinchcliffe’s on the outside 2-22. For Hinchcliffe, he matches his second starting position in race one and has his fourth P2 start of the season.
Times from both groups are below.
Video from NASCAR America
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0
- Alexander Rossi to make F1 debut in Belgium, replaces Chilton 5
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 5
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 11
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12