Jun 3, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Mercedes AMG boys can say they’ve made peace after their rivalry escalated in Monaco – for now, anyway – but the intensity undoubtedly still burns between both Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to stay ahead of the other one as we head into the first of two North American Grands Prix this season.
For Hamilton, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal couldn’t be a better place to come to after Monaco as he seeks to re-assume the throne from Rosberg, who recaptured the lead in the 2014 World Championship with his Monaco victory.
Hamilton took his first career victory at Montreal in the at-times chaotic 2007 Canadian Grand Prix, and added two further ones for McLaren in 2010 and 2012. He finished third here last year for Mercedes.
Rosberg’s record at Canada, by contrast, has not achieved anywhere near the same heights.
He failed to score in Canada in his three starts here for Williams and has come fifth once (2013) and sixth twice (2010 and 2012) since joining the Mercedes factory squad.
So a podium for the German here, and you’d have to expect it’s coming given the Mercedes’ outright pace advantage this year, would be his first at this circuit.
“Montreal is one of my favorite venues,” Rosberg said in the team’s advance release. “It’s a beautiful but also crazy city where there is always a lot happening: particularly in the evenings… it’s a great place to celebrate a good result, shall we say! That’s what I’ll be aiming for again this weekend.”
We’ll see if his results match his expectations. A podium would be nice, but he’ll have to go through his teammate – per usual – if he wants to stay atop the heap at the end of the weekend.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3