Jun 3, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Considering that Jimmie Johnson has claimed three wins at Pocono in his Sprint Cup career – not to mention back-to-back wins heading into Sunday’s Pocono 400 – it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that he’d be confident of his chances to chalk up another W at the “Tricky Triangle.”
As part of today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN, Johnson and his Hendrick Motorsports crew chief, Chad Knaus, explained why Pocono has become one of their most successful tracks over the years.
Leigh Diffey and Wally Dallenbach also checked in with Mark Martin, considered by many as the best driver never to claim a Sprint Cup championship.
Martin, who won 40 races in NASCAR’s top series before stepping out of the cockpit at the end of 2013, talked about what he’s been up to lately.
He also discussed Trevor Bayne‘s full-time return to Cup in 2015 with the No. 6 car (the number he drove to 35 of those 40 Cup victories) and the recent performance troubles at Roush Fenway Racing, where he competed for much of his storied career.
NASCAR AMERICA will be back tomorrow at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra. For more clips from the show, head on over to the archive page.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 16
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 15
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2