Jun 4, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The mid-1980s featured the then-championship winning McLaren TAG-Porsches, which kicked off a nearly 30-year partnership between the team and watch partner TAG Heuer.
The Swiss brand has been with McLaren ever since, and this weekend in the Canadian Grand Prix, the pair celebrate 500 Grands Prix together.
This isn’t the first major McLaren team-and-partner celebration this year; the 20-year anniversary with Mobil 1 began starting with the opening round of the season, the 2014 Australian Grand Prix.
Meanwhile the McLaren/TAG relationship began with victory in the 1985 Brazilian Grand Prix, a race taken by eventual World Champion Alain Prost.
McLaren posted an image of that first win on its Twitter page today.
— McLaren (@McLarenF1) June 4, 2014
In the time together, McLaren has captured 140 victories, 134 pole positions and nine World Championships.
McLaren’s 2014 hasn’t gone that well since its double podium in Melbourne to open the season, but drivers Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen press on as they are still ranked eighth and ninth in the Driver’s Championship.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 2
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0