Jun 4, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The mid-1980s featured the then-championship winning McLaren TAG-Porsches, which kicked off a nearly 30-year partnership between the team and watch partner TAG Heuer.
The Swiss brand has been with McLaren ever since, and this weekend in the Canadian Grand Prix, the pair celebrate 500 Grands Prix together.
This isn’t the first major McLaren team-and-partner celebration this year; the 20-year anniversary with Mobil 1 began starting with the opening round of the season, the 2014 Australian Grand Prix.
Meanwhile the McLaren/TAG relationship began with victory in the 1985 Brazilian Grand Prix, a race taken by eventual World Champion Alain Prost.
McLaren posted an image of that first win on its Twitter page today.
— McLaren (@McLarenF1) June 4, 2014
In the time together, McLaren has captured 140 victories, 134 pole positions and nine World Championships.
McLaren’s 2014 hasn’t gone that well since its double podium in Melbourne to open the season, but drivers Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen press on as they are still ranked eighth and ninth in the Driver’s Championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 0
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1