Jun 5, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
The emerging Red Bull Global Rallycross series, like any top-level championship, is always looking for its next batch of stars. With the all-spec GRC Lites development division making its first start of the year this weekend at the X Games in Austin, it will provide a first look at 10 potential (well, nine) new drivers who have the potential to move up at year’s end.
Nelson Piquet Jr. will run both in Red Bull GRC and GRC Lites, while the rest of the field looks to advance.
We outlined the Red Bull GRC field ahead of its opener in Barbados three weeks ago. Now here’s a quick primer on the GRC Lites field:
- DTV Solutions: 6-Geoff Sykes, was P6 in championship last season
- Piquet Sports: 07-Nelson Piquet Jr., will run both Red Bull GRC and GRC Lites
- Olsbergs MSE: 24-Mitchell DeJong, just 16, finished P3 in championship last season; 51-Atila Abreu, will run 7/9 rounds; 96-Kevin Eriksson, was P4 in championship last year
- Cohesive Front Racing: 27-Mark McKenzie, 88-Harry Cheung; pair of Ferrari Challenge veterans
- Rhys Millen Racing: 60-Tyler Benson, running under tutelage of off-road veteran
- C4 Motorsports: 77-Austin Cindric, 15, Tim’s son, USF2000 racer; 79-Blake Fuller, Braille Battery founder, racing veteran
- AD Racing: 98-Colton Herta, 14, Bryan’s son, USF2000 racer, will become youngest driver in series history
- Olsbergs MSE/AF Racing 126: 126-Alejandro Fernandez, karting veteran, Buddy Rice protege
And here is an Instagram photo posted of all 10 cars on hand in Austin this weekend: