Jun 5, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
If you couldn’t get enough news or highlights during Kurt Busch‘s quest to become the first driver to pull off motorsports’ “The Double” in a decade, there’s more on the way.
NBC Sports will air a 30-minute special this Sunday at 4:30 pm ET that revisits what Busch went through before, during and after his “Double” bid for this year’s Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600.
In addition, an extended one-hour “director’s cut” of the Busch special – titled “Kurt Busch: 36″ — will air the next night, Monday, June 9, at 11:30 pm ET on NBC Sports Network.
“(Both specials) will feature in-depth interviews, on-track footage, team communications and a seat right next to Busch throughout his races against drivers from two elite series, pulsating travel conditions and the limits of his own endurance,” according to a NBC Sports media release.
“Busch, a 25-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series winner, became the fourth driver to attempt “The Double” by racing in both IndyCar’s Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.
“The program furthers NBCSN’s successful line of “:36” documentaries that chronicle the 36 hours that cover the lead-up, completion and aftermath of a major sporting event.”
Busch finished an outstanding sixth-place as a rookie in the Indy 500, but engine failure two-thirds of the way through the 600 relegated him to a disappointing 40th-place finish and a DNF scoring.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Here’s a preview of the special:
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1