Jun 5, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
If you couldn’t get enough news or highlights during Kurt Busch‘s quest to become the first driver to pull off motorsports’ “The Double” in a decade, there’s more on the way.
NBC Sports will air a 30-minute special this Sunday at 4:30 pm ET that revisits what Busch went through before, during and after his “Double” bid for this year’s Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600.
In addition, an extended one-hour “director’s cut” of the Busch special – titled “Kurt Busch: 36″ — will air the next night, Monday, June 9, at 11:30 pm ET on NBC Sports Network.
“(Both specials) will feature in-depth interviews, on-track footage, team communications and a seat right next to Busch throughout his races against drivers from two elite series, pulsating travel conditions and the limits of his own endurance,” according to a NBC Sports media release.
“Busch, a 25-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series winner, became the fourth driver to attempt “The Double” by racing in both IndyCar’s Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.
“The program furthers NBCSN’s successful line of “:36” documentaries that chronicle the 36 hours that cover the lead-up, completion and aftermath of a major sporting event.”
Busch finished an outstanding sixth-place as a rookie in the Indy 500, but engine failure two-thirds of the way through the 600 relegated him to a disappointing 40th-place finish and a DNF scoring.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Here’s a preview of the special:
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5