Jun 6, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
Hamlin edged Busch by .007 mph – 181.415 mph for Hamlin to Busch’s 181.408 effort around the 2.5-mile tri-oval.
Even more, Hamlin beat Busch to the pole by a razor-thin margin of just .002 seconds.
It was Hamlin’s second pole of the season and third career pole at Pocono, where he has four wins, eight top-fives and 10 top-10s in 19 career starts.
“We really just made the car a lot better,” Hamlin told Fox Sports afterward. “Each session, our balance got a little bit better and we were able to get a little bit more speed out of it. That’s what you want to do, you want to play it just enough in the first few rounds and then in the final round you go all-out. It’s good to have a good Friday.
“It’s good to get a track record and have that No. 1 pit stall, that’ll pay dividends on Sunday, and I have the best pit crew on pit road. So hopefully, this lends itself to a great win on Sunday.”
Meanwhile, it was Busch’s first front-row starting spot of 2014.
“We haven’t done our job to the best of our ability, and this was a good turn for the better,” Busch said.
Six-time and defending Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson blamed himself for driver error for losing time on the track, ultimately resulting in a 20th-place qualifying position.
Dave Blaney spun just past the midpoint of the first qualifying session, but did not hit anything.
Here’s the starting grid for Sunday’s Pocono 400 at Pocono Raceway:
Row 1 Denny Hamlin, Kurt Busch
Row 2 Brad Keselowski, Kevin Harvick
Row 3 Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch
Row 4 Joey Logano, Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Row 5 Brian Vickers, Carl Edwards
Row 6 Austin Dillon, Tony Stewart
Row 10 Clint Bowyer, Jimmie Johnson
Row 22 Dave Blaney
There were no DNQs.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1