Jun 6, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
When IRG Sports + Entertainment took over the International Hot Rod Association last season, it was clear that while drag racing would remain the backbone of IHRA national events, there would be additional entertainment elements added to give race fans a more well-rounded experience.
To make that experience more fan- and family-friendly, the company has significantly increased its offerings, including more driver autograph sessions, hands-on activities such as a new Jet Technology Center and other interactive displays.
But one of the most popular additions to the 12-race IHRA Nitro Jam Drag Racing Series is one that fans will most likely identify with, as the company has contracted with the Miami Auto Museum to display a number of famous movie cars and celebrity vehicles at IHRA events as part of its “Hollywood Cars of the Stars” effort.
The collection includes such famous rides as the 1969 Dodge Charger – better known as “The General Lee” from the Dukes of Hazard TV series, the DeLorean time machine from the Back to the Future movie franchise, the Batmobile from the 1960s Batman television series and cars from other hit movies such James Bond and Rock of Ages.
All the cars come from Michael Dezer’s personal collection of more than 2,000 rare and exotic vehicles from the Miami Auto Museum in North Miami, Fla.
After three races, the display has proven to be one of the most entertaining and attention-grabbing aspects for fans attending IHRA events – next to the actual drag racing, of course.
“The IHRA Nitro Jam Drag Racing Series is all about providing exciting, adrenaline-pumping racing and a great family-driven show for race fans of all ages. Part of that is providing fans with a great mix of things to see and do throughout the day at all IHRA events,” said Jason Rittenberry, President and Chief Executive Officer of IRG Sports + Entertainment.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0