Jun 6, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
Another Chip Ganassi Racing vs. Team Penske battle may be on tap tomorrow night at Texas Motor Speedway.
Penske driver and Verizon IndyCar Series championship leader Will Power may be on pole for the Firestone 600 (Sat., 8 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra), but the Ganassi camp looks ready to battle him throughout the 248-lap race.
Just as they did in the first practice session earlier today, CGR drivers went 1-2-3 in this evening’s 30-minute practice at TMS. This time, it was Scott Dixon (qualified seventh) atop the time sheets with a lap of 213.215 miles per hour in the No. 9 Target Chevrolet.
His Target teammate, Tony Kanaan (qualified third), posted a lap of 213.187 mph in the No. 10 Chevy that was good enough for second in the session. Ryan Briscoe (qualified 13th), driving the No. 8 NTT Data Chevy, was third-fastest at 212.909 mph.
Behind all three of them was Power with a lap of 212.800 mph in the No. 12 Verizon Chevy. Ed Carpenter (qualified fifth) completed the Top 5 after his lap of 212.598 mph in the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevy.
The fastest Honda driver was Indy 500 winner Ryan Hunter-Reay, who was eighth-quickest this evening (212.249 mph). Other notables from practice include Juan Pablo Montoya and Helio Castroneves in sixth and seventh, Marco Andretti in 11th, and front-row starter Josef Newgarden in 13th.
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 1
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 4
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4