Jun 6, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon has been coming to Pocono Raceway for over two decades.
But when he returned for this weekend’s Pocono 400, something seemed different to the six-time winner there.
Gordon knows Pocono like the back of his hand. That’s confirmed by six wins, 19 top-fives and 29 top-10s in 42 career starts.
So if something is different, Gordon will likely be one of the first to know it.
And Gordon’s suspicions were eventually verified, as gone from the track is the well-known tunnel turn curb.
“I don’t think the track has changed – it’s just the curb I believe has been removed from Turn 2 and the access road is now like a normal apron,” Gordon said. “I think visually it’s going to take some getting used to.
“We used that curb as a real focal point and, now that it’s gone, what you used to get through that corner will be different.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2