Jun 6, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon has been coming to Pocono Raceway for over two decades.
But when he returned for this weekend’s Pocono 400, something seemed different to the six-time winner there.
Gordon knows Pocono like the back of his hand. That’s confirmed by six wins, 19 top-fives and 29 top-10s in 42 career starts.
So if something is different, Gordon will likely be one of the first to know it.
And Gordon’s suspicions were eventually verified, as gone from the track is the well-known tunnel turn curb.
“I don’t think the track has changed – it’s just the curb I believe has been removed from Turn 2 and the access road is now like a normal apron,” Gordon said. “I think visually it’s going to take some getting used to.
“We used that curb as a real focal point and, now that it’s gone, what you used to get through that corner will be different.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 3
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12
- Ten with Townsend: Toronto debrief 0
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 4
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0