Jun 6, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado has explained how problems with the Renault power unit in his Lotus car are still hindering his pace and progress, despite the French engine manufacturer believing that it would be up to speed for this weekend’s race.
Earlier this week, Renault’s head of track said that Montreal would be “the first full opportunity to see where we are versus the competition”. However, Maldonado explained that he does not feel any difference in the engine this weekend after a tough day of practice for Lotus.
“Tough, very tough, a lot of problems in the car,” he explained. “To be honest, I was expecting something more extreme in terms of pace, but we are not far away from the top ten. We need to put everything together, and let’s see what we can do.
“I think it’s gonna be difficult to be there because of the lack of power. We are losing more than 10km/h on every straight, it’s quite a lot. We’ll see tomorrow. At the moment, it’s normal.”
The Venezuelan driver finished the second session down in 15th place, two-tenths down on teammate Romain Grosjean, who finished up in P11.
Maldonado also revealed that he was unaware of why Daniel Ricciardo got a reprimand for dangerously overtaking him in the pits.
“I don’t know,” he said, whilst shrugging his shoulders. “I don’t remember.”
The one-time grand prix winner has made a poor start to the season, and is currently last in the drivers’ championship. However, should everything come together for the team in Canada, he might be able to battle for the small points.
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1