Jun 6, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
Pastor Maldonado has explained how problems with the Renault power unit in his Lotus car are still hindering his pace and progress, despite the French engine manufacturer believing that it would be up to speed for this weekend’s race.
Earlier this week, Renault’s head of track said that Montreal would be “the first full opportunity to see where we are versus the competition”. However, Maldonado explained that he does not feel any difference in the engine this weekend after a tough day of practice for Lotus.
“Tough, very tough, a lot of problems in the car,” he explained. “To be honest, I was expecting something more extreme in terms of pace, but we are not far away from the top ten. We need to put everything together, and let’s see what we can do.
“I think it’s gonna be difficult to be there because of the lack of power. We are losing more than 10km/h on every straight, it’s quite a lot. We’ll see tomorrow. At the moment, it’s normal.”
The Venezuelan driver finished the second session down in 15th place, two-tenths down on teammate Romain Grosjean, who finished up in P11.
Maldonado also revealed that he was unaware of why Daniel Ricciardo got a reprimand for dangerously overtaking him in the pits.
“I don’t know,” he said, whilst shrugging his shoulders. “I don’t remember.”
The one-time grand prix winner has made a poor start to the season, and is currently last in the drivers’ championship. However, should everything come together for the team in Canada, he might be able to battle for the small points.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 5
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3
- Health issues to sideline Brian Vickers for early part of 2015 Sprint Cup season 5