Jun 7, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
How many of you remember the iconic Superbird, the unique version of the Dodge Charger Daytona and its sister car, the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird, that Richard Petty made famous in NASCAR in 1970, going on to win 18 races that season?
With the huge spoiler that rose about two feet above the trunk lid and a massive 426-cubic-inch Hemi engine under the hood, the Superbird was unlike any race car NASCAR has ever seen – and likely will ever see again.
Borrowing a page from the Reddit/Dogecoin crowdfunding for Josh Wise‘s car in Sprint Cup, now comes a report from Hooniverse.com that a group of producers and obviously die-hard gearheads are attempting to raise money also through crowdfunding to make a movie about the fabled ‘Bird.
The tentative working title for the movie is quite appropriate: “Winged Warriors.”
The producers are trying to raise enough money through an initiative on KickStarter.com to not only make the film, but also to build or buy several replica cars, including the original Dodge No. 88 Daytona test car that spawned the Superbird, as well as Petty’s No. 43 Plymouth Superbird, James Hylton’s No. 48 Dodge Charger and the No. 99 Dodge Charger Daytona owned by Charlie Glotzbach and Richard Brickhouse.
Kickstarter will be the first of two fundraising efforts, according to Hooniverse, with a goal of $462,000, of which nearly $275,000 will be designated for building or purchasing eight variations of the Superbird.
The fundraising effort has some unique perks: If you pledge $10,000, you’ll get a brief speaking part in the movie and an executive producer credit.
Even those who can only afford $25, there’s a perk, as well: a DVD of the film and a poster.
The fundraising pledge effort kicked off June 1, but admittedly is going slowly: As of 7 pm ET Saturday, producers had raised just under $14,000, or about three percent of their goal. The fundraising effort continues until June 30.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 22
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6