Jun 7, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez will take no part in qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix after a crash in the final practice session on Saturday morning forced Sauber to change his chassis.
The Mexican driver brought out the red flag in FP3, spinning at turn three and careering into the wall at the side of the track. The left-rear of his car hit the barrier with some force, and the damage has been severe enough to warrant a chassis change.
This is just the latest in a streak of problems for Sauber in 2014. The C33 car has not lived up to expectations, and the team currently lies 10th in the constructors’ championship behind Marussia with zero points.
In Monaco, Gutierrez did look set to finish inside the top ten in the race, but a silly mistake at La Rascasse meant that he had to retire. This came just 20 laps or so after his teammate, Adrian Sutil, had crashed on the exit of the tunnel.
You can watch a Gutierrez-less qualifying live on NBCSN from 1pm ET. Coverage is expected to continue until 2:30pm.
— Sauber F1 Team (@OfficialSF1Team) June 7, 2014
As a result, Gutierrez will start from the back of the grid tomorrow.
- WATCH LIVE: Italian GP qualifying on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET 0
- Hamilton completes practice clean sweep at Monza 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/6 on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 2
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 1