Jun 7, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
In addition to winning four Indianapolis 500s, current Verizon IndyCar Series team owner A.J. Foyt has experienced success on a different kind of track.
As IndyCar.com helpfully points out, “SuperTex” was the former record holder at Churchill Downs for victories during the track’s Spring/Summer meet.
His horses earned 27 wins over the 93-day meet back in 1984, and that mark stood until last season, when Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s horses chalked up 32 wins in 38 days.
Foyt knows a thing or two about thoroughbreds (he has a trio of 2-year-olds that have begun training). And while he’s certainly focusing on tonight’s Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra), you can probably assume that he’ll be keeping tabs on this afternoon’s Belmont Stakes (4:30 p.m. ET, NBC and NBC Sports Live Extra).
With a victory today in New York state, California Chrome (pictured, with jockey Victor Espinoza) will become the first winner of horse racing’s Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978. Foyt is among those hoping to see history, but worries about the Belmont’s grueling 1.5-mile distance.
“He’s no Secretariat. I don’t know if he can go that far,” Foyt said to the IndyCar website. “A mile and a half is a long way and the way it’s set up [two weeks between the Derby and Preakness Stakes, then three weeks until the Belmont] knocks a horse down. That’s the reason why you didn’t see a lot of them [continue] at the Preakness.”
However, Foyt would be glad to see California Chrome pull it off for owners Perry Martin and Steve Coburn.
“Because they turned down a lot of money before they ran the Derby and took a big gamble,” he added. “I hope they do it but they have their work cut out.”
California Chrome will start from the second post position this afternoon at the Belmont. Foyt’s driver, Takuma Sato, is starting 16th on the grid for tonight’s IndyCar race at TMS.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 76
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 11
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1