Jun 7, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The Verizon IndyCar Series has now reverted to single-file restarts at all events after last night’s announcement that double-file restarts would not be used for the remainder of the 2014 season.
Here’s the full release that the sanctioning body put out on the subject:
INDYCAR announced a modification to restart procedures today that stipulates the Verizon IndyCar Series will utilize single-file restarts at all remaining events this season.
The series previously employed double-file restarts on all oval tracks, except the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and single-file restarts on all road and street course events.
“This year we’ve made improvements in our ability to monitor and police restarts that has resulted in great single-file restarts at all of our events, including the Indianapolis 500,” said Derrick Walker, INDYCAR President of Competitions and Operations.
“We also felt it was important to place our competitors in the exact running order as they were prior to the caution and not provide an advantage to some drivers because of the lane they were in during a double-file restart.”
Double-file restarts debuted in IndyCar back in 2011. Tonight’s Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway (8 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra) would have been the first race of the 2014 season to have them employed.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4