Jun 7, 2014, 10:43 PM EST
Crew chief Keith Rodden said Saturday that he has no problem with NASCAR not allowing him or his pit crew to work on Jamie McMurray‘s car under red-flag conditions during last Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Dover International Speedway.
Rodden told MRN.com’s Dustin Long that NASCAR made the right call not to allow repairs on McMurray’s car, which was damaged when a chunk of concrete broke free from the track surface and into the front grill of his Chevrolet.
“I think you can’t just make a special (rule) in the middle of the race,” Rodden said. “I think if you go into a season or go into a event where everybody knows what the deal is (it’s OK). There’s always going to be times where something like that could happen and impact your car or your race.”
NASCAR rules typically do not allow teams to work on cars during red flag periods, although there have been rare exceptions in the past due to the discretionary powers NASCAR officials have.
One of the most recent instances was last year when a TV cable fell at Charlotte Motor Speedway and damaged several cars while on-track.
Rodden told Long that the chunk of concrete “destroyed the splitter” as well as other parts of the front end. Further damage occurred when McMurray’s car went up the track after contacting the concrete and hit the outside retaining wall with the right fender.
“What are they going to do, wait on us to start the race back?” Rodden said. “I wish the track wouldn’t come up like that so it doesn’t put anybody in a bad spot.
“Obviously, Dover didn’t want that to happen either. There’s nothing you can do about it.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 0
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 4
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3