Jun 7, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Kamui Kobayashi will take a five place grid penalty for tomorrow’s Canadian Grand Prix after changing his gearbox ahead of qualifying today.
The Caterham driver was forced to pull over at the side of the track during the final free practice session in Montreal due to a problem on his car. Changing the gearbox did remedy this, but it means that he will start tomorrow’s race from the back of the grid after qualifying down in 20th position.
“In qualifying we did two runs on the super-softs, but the red flag at the end of the session meant I couldn’t improve my time,” Kobayashi explained. “We’d made a bit more progress since FP3 and the balance was better, so on my last quick lap I made up a tenth in the first two corners, but then had to abort that run so finished in 20th.
“With the grid penalty we have to take for the gearbox change over lunch I’ll start at the back of the grid and all I can do is fight.
“Everyone in the team keeps doing that, even in a tough weekend like we’re having here, and as we saw at the last race, anything can happen and we need to be there if and when it counts tomorrow.”
Kobayashi’s penalty only adds to a miserable weekend for Caterham, who saw Marcus Ericsson spin off during the final part of Q1 today and qualify down in 21st place.
Pastor Maldonado has also been handed a reprimand by the stewards for failing to correctly put his steering wheel back in his car. The Lotus driver parked up at the end of Q1, but did not put his steering wheel back in. The offence may seem to be relative minor, but the stewards do not look too kindly on it.
Interestingly, this is only Maldonado’s first reprimand of the 2014 season.
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0