Jun 7, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
21-year-old Eddie Cheever III, the son of 1998 Indianapolis 500 champion Eddie Cheever Jr., has claimed his inaugural NASCAR win in a Whelen Euro Series event at Brands Hatch, England.
The victory came in the first of two Euro Series events to take place this weekend at the famous British road course.
Cheever, who hails from Rome, Italy, started on the pole and held off both Frederic Gabillon and two-time defending series champion Ander Vilarino to win in just his third career stock car start.
“It’s an incredible weekend for us,” said Cheever, who took over the series’ Elite 1 Division points lead. “We didn’t practice yesterday and this morning we made the pole. It was an hard race, but we won it and I couldn’t be happier.”
Gabillon and Vilarino had two shots to get past Cheever on restarts, including one with two minutes remaining in the 25-minute race. But contact between Freddy Nordstrom and Simone Monforte brought the race to an end under the safety car, with Cheever still in front.
Cheever will start fifth in tomorrow’s second Euro Series race at Brands Hatch. Vilarino will have the pole position.
To hear more from today’s top finishers, check out the clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1