Jun 7, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
21-year-old Eddie Cheever III, the son of 1998 Indianapolis 500 champion Eddie Cheever Jr., has claimed his inaugural NASCAR win in a Whelen Euro Series event at Brands Hatch, England.
The victory came in the first of two Euro Series events to take place this weekend at the famous British road course.
Cheever, who hails from Rome, Italy, started on the pole and held off both Frederic Gabillon and two-time defending series champion Ander Vilarino to win in just his third career stock car start.
“It’s an incredible weekend for us,” said Cheever, who took over the series’ Elite 1 Division points lead. “We didn’t practice yesterday and this morning we made the pole. It was an hard race, but we won it and I couldn’t be happier.”
Gabillon and Vilarino had two shots to get past Cheever on restarts, including one with two minutes remaining in the 25-minute race. But contact between Freddy Nordstrom and Simone Monforte brought the race to an end under the safety car, with Cheever still in front.
Cheever will start fifth in tomorrow’s second Euro Series race at Brands Hatch. Vilarino will have the pole position.
To hear more from today’s top finishers, check out the clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3