Jun 7, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
12 months ago, finishing in third place might have been bitterly disappointing for Sebastian Vettel, but today the defending world champion was delighted with the result in qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix.
Once again, Mercedes locked out the front row in qualifying with Nico Rosberg edging out Lewis Hamilton to claim his third pole position of the season, while Vettel finished over half a second further back. Nevertheless, the Red Bull driver is delighted with the result.
“It was the maximum we could do,” he said. “We were very close with those behind, half a second behind the Mercs, but then four cars were within four to five hundredths of a second of each other, so I’m happy to be the quickest of those.”
Just 0.05 seconds separated Vettel, Valtteri Bottas, Felipe Massa and Daniel Ricciardo down in sixth, suggesting that last year’s Canadian GP winner may have a fight on his hands if he is to complete the podium this weekend.
“Strategy could be a bit of a surprise tomorrow, we’ll have to wait and see what happens but Williams is strong here and the Mercedes powered cars will be looking forward to the straights,” Vettel explained. “I will try to stay as close as I can to the front two and get some tow. If we have a chance to attack them, then we should go for it.”
Although a win may be out of the question for Vettel, a second podium finish of the season will undoubtedly be his target. Red Bull is struggling with straight line speed, but should he put in a repeat performance from qualifying today, he will be in with a very good chance of getting on the podium tomorrow.
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 1
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1