Jun 7, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Will Power has a message for some of his critics who believe he gets special treatment on the IndyCar Series:
“Anyone who says I don’t get drive-throughs or penalties are crazy, I get them every race,” Power said after Saturday’s Firestone 600 IndyCar race at Texas Motor Speedway.
Had it not been for yet another costly drive-through penalty, Power may very well have rebounded to win.
Instead, he rallied back from sixth-place on the last restart with three laps left to finish second and almost steal the win away from eventual winner Ed Carpenter.
The key for Power, who retained his lead in the Verizon IndyCar Series standings, was a gutsy call by Team Penske president Tim Cindric, who called for four tires to be put on Power’s car on the final pit stop.
“What an awesome call by my team to get tires,” Power said. “I thought I screwed it up for them again, but another drive-through (penalty) – that’s four drive-throughs in five races, that’s not good enough.
“Tim Cindric and Dave (Faustino) my engineer, they always put me in great positions, so I’m just happy to get back to second. It was just an awesome last lap.”
Power blasted off on the restart and eventually caught Team Penske teammate Juan Pablo Montoya heading into the final lap.
All that was left ahead of him was Carpenter, and while Power gave it a valiant try, he couldn’t quite catch the race winner before the drop of the checkered flag.
If the race had gone another lap or two, or if Power had not incurred the penalty, we might be talking about a different winner.
“I don’t know, it’s hard to say,” Power said if there would be a different outcome. “Ed was awful strong. He’s an awesome driver.
“It would have made a good battle there at the end, my car was good at the end, but I’m just real happy to drive the car and come in second. It was just a lot of fun.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0