Jun 8, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix today, NBCSN’s Leigh Diffey was talking about Mercedes’ pursuit of a perfect season. The German marque boasted six wins from six races, and number seven looked on the cards when Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton stormed ahead at the start of the race today.
But things certainly changed. An ERS failure forced Hamilton out of the race and left Rosberg flagging, which ultimately allowed Daniel Ricciardo to find his way past and claim his maiden grand prix victory.
Same again in 12 months? Sure thing. We love coming to Montreal, and Montreal loves welcoming Formula 1. The 10 year contract extension was certainly a great news story to come out of the race weekend.
- Just the one session report today: the race. Dan was the man in Montreal, pulling off a shock victory. Red Bull in a shock win? Who would have thought it last year…
NEWS FROM THE PADDOCK
- Jean-Eric Vergne is unconcerned about his future with Toro Rosso despite Carlos Sainz Jr. eyeing up his seat.
- Adrian Newey has signed a new long-term deal with Red Bull, but will take a step back from his current role.
- Kimi Raikkonen raced in his 200th grand prix today.
- The F1 community is pleased that the Canadian GP’s contract has been renewed.
- Mercedes’ winning streak ended today in Montreal.
- VIDEO: Perez and Massa crash hard on the last lap.
- Ricciardo shocked by his first GP victory.
- VIDEO: Ferrari endures a miserable day in Canada.
- Hamilton frustrated to retire after ERS failure.
- Rosberg looks on the bright side following defeat in Canada.
- Chilton retires for the first time in his F1 career.
- Vettel pleased for Red Bull to be back on the top step of the podium.
We’ll be bringing you analysis from the race weekend tomorrow in our weekend review coverage.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1