Jun 8, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Max Chilton has retired from a grand prix for the first time in his career at the 26th time of asking.
The Briton may not have turned many heads during his Formula 1 career so far, but he had managed to finish every race that he had entered until this weekend, giving him the F1 record for the most consecutive finishes as a rookie.
However, his streak came to an end in Canada today after a first lap incident with his Marussia teammate, Jules Bianchi.
Chilton lost the back-end of his car coming through the first chicane, and spun into Bianchi. This in turn sent the Frenchman into the wall with some force, ruining the rear of his car. Chilton also suffered a great deal of damage, with his Marussia coming to a halt a few hundred yards later.
The crash was big enough to warrant a long safety car period, but thankfully both drivers walked away from the shunt unharmed. However, it has ended Chilton’s finishing record.
The Briton has also been handed a three-place grid penalty for the next race in Austria for the misdemeanor.
“The incident between myself and Jules obviously ended not only our own races but also the team’s, so it’s sad for all the guys after making such progress again,” Chilton explained. “I had a good start, pulled away from the cars behind into Turn 1, queued into Turn 2, then we had a coming together into Turn 3.
“The resulting accident was very unfortunate for us both and after a race to remember in Monaco, perhaps a race to forget here in Canada, but the one thing we’ll keep hold of is how well the car is developing, so my thanks to all the team.”
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 1
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0