Jun 8, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Two of the most popular personalities in sports had a bit of fun on the go-kart track, as NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. went up against Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley.
Earnhardt and Barkley’s meeting came after the latter, now an NBA analyst for TNT, said that he wanted to meet Driver #88 during a recent episode of “Inside The NBA.” Earnhardt then took to Twitter to arrange a race between the two at a North Carolina go-kart track.
“The thing is, being from Alabama you automatically become a NASCAR fan, so in any sport I never root for teams, I root for people,” Barkley said to NASCAR.com about the race.
“All the jocks are really trying hard, so you pick out guys you like and that’s why I’m here today. Like I said, you root for personalities. I’m a big fan of [Earnhardt’s] and I really want to thank him for taking the time.”
The two competed in a five-lap run and a three-lap run, with Earnhardt handicapped in each of them by running an additional lap against the former Philadelphia 76er/Phoenix Sun/Houston Rocket.
Bleacher Report has the full video of the event.
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 0
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 3
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 1
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0