Jun 8, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Two of the most popular personalities in sports had a bit of fun on the go-kart track, as NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. went up against Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley.
Earnhardt and Barkley’s meeting came after the latter, now an NBA analyst for TNT, said that he wanted to meet Driver #88 during a recent episode of “Inside The NBA.” Earnhardt then took to Twitter to arrange a race between the two at a North Carolina go-kart track.
“The thing is, being from Alabama you automatically become a NASCAR fan, so in any sport I never root for teams, I root for people,” Barkley said to NASCAR.com about the race.
“All the jocks are really trying hard, so you pick out guys you like and that’s why I’m here today. Like I said, you root for personalities. I’m a big fan of [Earnhardt’s] and I really want to thank him for taking the time.”
The two competed in a five-lap run and a three-lap run, with Earnhardt handicapped in each of them by running an additional lap against the former Philadelphia 76er/Phoenix Sun/Houston Rocket.
Bleacher Report has the full video of the event.
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 0
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 1
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1