Jun 8, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
A number of F1 drivers and figures are pleased that the Canadian Grand Prix’s contract has been renewed for another ten years, ensuring that the sport will continue to visit Montreal until 2024.
In a press conference yesterday, officials at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve confirmed that a new contract had been drawn up with the F1 Group that will also see the paddock and pit complex renovated in the next few years. The agreement also ensures that there will be at least two races in North American until 2022, when the Circuit of the America’s contract to host the United States Grand Prix expires.
Speaking yesterday in Montreal, a number of the current drivers were pleased to see the extension of the contract.
“It’s great because Montreal is one of the best races in the year for all of us I think,” pole-sitter Nico Rosberg said after qualifying. “It’s a great track, the fans are fantastic, so enthusiastic so I’m very happy and I’m sure everybody is that we’re going to be coming here a lot more often in the future.”
Three-time Canadian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton echoed his teammate’s thoughts, saying: “It’s one of the best races of the year but mostly the fans here are some of the best that we get to see. They really make the atmosphere and the city is incredible. We enjoy coming here so I’m grateful that that’s been done so hopefully we get to race here many more times.”
Montreal embraces Formula 1 with open arms during the grand prix weekend, putting on a number of parties and events in the city centre for the fans. That, combined with the brilliance and the history of the circuit, means that the extension of Canada’s contract will receive unanimous approval from the F1 community.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 13
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2