Jun 8, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
A number of F1 drivers and figures are pleased that the Canadian Grand Prix’s contract has been renewed for another ten years, ensuring that the sport will continue to visit Montreal until 2024.
In a press conference yesterday, officials at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve confirmed that a new contract had been drawn up with the F1 Group that will also see the paddock and pit complex renovated in the next few years. The agreement also ensures that there will be at least two races in North American until 2022, when the Circuit of the America’s contract to host the United States Grand Prix expires.
Speaking yesterday in Montreal, a number of the current drivers were pleased to see the extension of the contract.
“It’s great because Montreal is one of the best races in the year for all of us I think,” pole-sitter Nico Rosberg said after qualifying. “It’s a great track, the fans are fantastic, so enthusiastic so I’m very happy and I’m sure everybody is that we’re going to be coming here a lot more often in the future.”
Three-time Canadian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton echoed his teammate’s thoughts, saying: “It’s one of the best races of the year but mostly the fans here are some of the best that we get to see. They really make the atmosphere and the city is incredible. We enjoy coming here so I’m grateful that that’s been done so hopefully we get to race here many more times.”
Montreal embraces Formula 1 with open arms during the grand prix weekend, putting on a number of parties and events in the city centre for the fans. That, combined with the brilliance and the history of the circuit, means that the extension of Canada’s contract will receive unanimous approval from the F1 community.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10