Jun 8, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
You would think that with one of the wider pit roads on the NASCAR circuit, there’d be little chance of an incident between cars at Pocono Raceway.
Not so during Sunday’s Pocono 400.
Jimmie Johnson and his No. 48 Chevrolet were trying to exit his pit stall on Lap 74, when he made contact with the No. 9 Ford of Marcos Ambrose, who was attempting to get into his pit stall, two spots ahead of Johnson’s.
Instead, Ambrose spun Johnson’s car – ironically enough, into Ambrose’s pit stall.
Johnson’s car got the worst of the incident, suffering damage to the right front end. Ambrose’s left front damage was not as bad.
After pushing his car back to its pit stall, Johnson’s team did minimal repair on the pit stop, not wanting to keep him in the pits any longer than needed. But Johnson is back on the track and has complained that the front end is out of whack.
Johnson brought the car back into the pits for further repairs on Lap 81 when Dave Blaney spun, bringing out another caution.
Ambrose was able to continue on and doesn’t appear to be adversely affected by the incident.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: Abu Dhabi GP Race Day live on NBCSN from 7a ET 0
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0