Jun 8, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Kasey Kahne fans were optimistic that he’d start turning around his season in Sunday’s Pocono Raceway, where he won at last August and has two overall wins and seven top 10s there.
For a while there, Kahne was looking good until Lap 143 of the 160-lap Pocono 400.
Kahne ultimately wound up with a 42nd-place finish, while Edwards was one spot ahead in 41st.
Kahne apparently lost the brakes in his car after the first impact as he continued on down the track for maybe an additional 500-plus feet before hitting the wall again.
That brought out the caution flag and Kahne’s car had to be towed off the track.
After the race, Kahne declined to be interviewed, telling TNT that he wasn’t feeling well.
Edwards, meanwhile, called Kahne’s hit one of the hardest sideswipes into a wall he’s ever seen.
“I’m not sure what happened,” Edwards told TNT. “It was getting pretty crazy out there. It looked like he came off Turn (1) and somehow Kasey hit the wall there, but it wasn’t like he just ran into the wall, there was a bunch of oil on the track.
“I couldn’t miss him, I hit him in the left rear, I’m glad he got out of the car okay because he really smacked the wall hard.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1