Jun 8, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
NASCAR veteran Greg Biffle and his primary sponsor, 3M, will remain with Roush Fenway Racing, multiple sources have confirmed to the Charlotte Observer and ThatsRacin.com.
An official announcement of contract extensions for Biffle and the sponsor with RFR could come as soon as this coming week, sources said.”
While RFR does not comment on the status of driver or sponsor contracts, if the report proves true, one possible scenario to make an official announcement could come as early as next weekend at Michigan International Speedway.
Roush Industries is headquartered in Livonia, Mich., and Biffle and Edwards have done quite well at MIS in their careers: Biffle has four Cup wins, Edwards two.
Biffle, who turns 45 in December, has been with Roush since 1998. He won the then-Craftsman Truck Series championship in 2000 and the then-Busch Series championship in 2002.
No driver in NASCAR history has ever won championships in all three of its premier national series, although Biffle – who has 19 career Cup victories – came close in 2005, finishing second in the championship chase to Tony Stewart.
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will return for his third Cup season with RFR in 2015, and it was recently announced that 2011 Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne will be promoted to a full-time ride in the Cup series for RFR, as well.
A five-car team for several years and then a four-car operation, RFR has fielded just three Cup teams since 2013 after Matt Kenseth left following the 2012 season for Joe Gibbs Racing.
Whether it would go back to four teams if Edwards elects to stay in the RFR fold remains to be seen.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- What we’re thankful in the motorsports world, 2014 0
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 1
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 5
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3