Jun 8, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
After going from fifth to first in the opening two laps, Colin Braun went on to take the checkered flag for the No. 54 CORE Autosport team in the second 45-minute segment of last night’s Grand Prix of Kansas.
The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship event took place on Kansas Speedway’s “roval” layout and consisted of two, 45-minute races with the TUDOR Championship’s Prototype Challenge class going wheel-to-wheel with the Cooper Tires Prototype Lites division.
Braun won Segment 2 by a margin of 4.652 seconds over runner-up Renger van der Zande (No. 8, Starworks Motorsport). His co-driver, CORE owner Jon Bennett, also contributed to their win with a fifth-place finish in Segment 1.
“[The segmented format] was good in one way because I could sit down and pick Jon’s brain on how the first race went,” Braun said. “I knew a little bit about what to expect and was able to build a little bit of a game plan based on what he told me.
“I was prepared for the start of [Segment 2] to go one of two ways; either everybody would end up double file into Turn One, or we’d stack up, which is what happened. I was fortunate that I picked the path of least resistance, teed it up and was able to get by most of the guys in the first corner.”
Completing the podium at Kansas was 8Star Motorsports, which had Sean Rayhall win Segment 1 in their No. 25 ORECA before handing the car to Luis Diaz for Segment 2.
In the Lites division, Mikhail Goikhberg picked up his third victory of the year after narrowly finishing second to Tony Bullock in the first race and winning the second.
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 0
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 36
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0