Jun 8, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Today’s Canadian Grand Prix came to a dramatic end when Sergio Perez and Felipe Massa crashed on the last lap of the race.
After a five way fight for the lead in the dying stages of the race, Daniel Ricciardo emerged victorious after passing Perez and then race leader Nico Rosberg – who suffered an ERS failure – to claim his maiden grand prix victory.
Perez and Massa were fighting for position with two laps to go, and came together before crashing heavily into the wall at turn one. Massa’s car missed Sebastian Vettel – who was also in the fight for a podium place – by the smallest of margins.
Both drivers walked away from the incident, but the team has confirmed that Massa has been taken to hospital for precautionary checks, from where he has even posted a selfie on Instagram.
Perez has been handed a five place grid penalty for the next race in Austria for causing the crash. The stewards deemed him to have moved off line and left Massa with nowhere to go.
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1