Jun 8, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Today’s Canadian Grand Prix came to a dramatic end when Sergio Perez and Felipe Massa crashed on the last lap of the race.
After a five way fight for the lead in the dying stages of the race, Daniel Ricciardo emerged victorious after passing Perez and then race leader Nico Rosberg – who suffered an ERS failure – to claim his maiden grand prix victory.
Perez and Massa were fighting for position with two laps to go, and came together before crashing heavily into the wall at turn one. Massa’s car missed Sebastian Vettel – who was also in the fight for a podium place – by the smallest of margins.
Both drivers walked away from the incident, but the team has confirmed that Massa has been taken to hospital for precautionary checks, from where he has even posted a selfie on Instagram.
Perez has been handed a five place grid penalty for the next race in Austria for causing the crash. The stewards deemed him to have moved off line and left Massa with nowhere to go.
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 0
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 11
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10