Jun 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Lynda Petty’s kindness and generosity continues to live on more than two months after the matriarch of the Petty racing family passed away.
“Miss Lynda,” as she was affectionately known, died March 25 at the age of 72 following a long illness. She and Richard were married 55 years.
Now comes word from the Petty Family Foundation, based in the family’s Level Cross, N.C. homestead, that several donations to charity in Lynda’s name have been made.
Some of those donations come directly from fans that contributed money to the Foundation upon hearing of Lynda Petty’s passing.
“We are so grateful for all who have donated to the Petty Family Foundation in memory of our mother,” said daughter Rebecca Petty Moffitt, the Foundation’s executive director.
Charities that received donations were the Hospice of Randolph County (N.C.), the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke University, Randolph County Community College and Mount Lebanon Baptist Church, which the family attended.
“The family wanted to give back to the places where our mother contributed and to those she helped and in return helped her,” Moffitt said. “Although this is only a small list of the many people that she touched, we hope they can benefit from the donations.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2