Jun 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Lynda Petty’s kindness and generosity continues to live on more than two months after the matriarch of the Petty racing family passed away.
“Miss Lynda,” as she was affectionately known, died March 25 at the age of 72 following a long illness. She and Richard were married 55 years.
Now comes word from the Petty Family Foundation, based in the family’s Level Cross, N.C. homestead, that several donations to charity in Lynda’s name have been made.
Some of those donations come directly from fans that contributed money to the Foundation upon hearing of Lynda Petty’s passing.
“We are so grateful for all who have donated to the Petty Family Foundation in memory of our mother,” said daughter Rebecca Petty Moffitt, the Foundation’s executive director.
Charities that received donations were the Hospice of Randolph County (N.C.), the Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center at Duke University, Randolph County Community College and Mount Lebanon Baptist Church, which the family attended.
“The family wanted to give back to the places where our mother contributed and to those she helped and in return helped her,” Moffitt said. “Although this is only a small list of the many people that she touched, we hope they can benefit from the donations.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1