Jun 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One of the things that’s always cool to watch at the 24 Hours of Le Mans is the American presence. Here’s a quick primer on the 18 American drivers (4 LMP2, 2 GTE-Pro, 12 GTE-Am) in this year’s race:
- David Cheng, Chinese-born but sharing U.S. and Hong Kong residence, makes his 24 Hours of Le Mans debut in the No. 33 OAK Racing Team Asia Ligier JS P2 HPD in LMP2. Cheng is the 2013 Asian Le Mans Series champion and also has a PC class win at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on his resume.
- Matt McMurry and Chris Dyson share the seat of the No. 42 Caterham Racing Zytek Z11SN Nissan (LMP2). McMurry, 16, will set a record as the youngest driver ever to compete at Le Mans and is Dyson Racing’s first Junior Development Driver. Mentor and teammate Dyson returns to Le Mans as a driver for the first time since 2009.
- The brothers Ricky and Jordan Taylor, who drive for Wayne Taylor Racing in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, are split at Le Mans. Ricky will co-drive the No. 50 Larbre Competition Morgan Judd in LMP2; Jordan is one of two Americans in Corvette Racing’s six-driver lineup, sharing the No. 73 Corvette C7.R.
- Former Le Mans class winner Tommy Milner shares the No. 74 Corvette C7.R. He and Jordan Taylor are the only two Americans in the GTE-Pro class.
- South African born Mark Patterson races under U.S. nationality and shares the No. 53 Ram Racing Ferrari F458 Italia in GTE-Am.
- One of only four U.S.-entered teams, Krohn Racing was a late GTE-Am entrant due to Strakka Racing’s withdrawal and team principal Tracy Krohn is again back in the No. 57 Ferrari F458 Italia.
- Bronze-rated gentlemen drivers Peter Ashley Mann (No. 60) and Howard Blank (No. 62) are in two of AF Corse’s four GTE-Am entered Ferrari F458 Italias.
- Flying Lizard Motorsports TUDOR United SportsCar Championship drivers Seth Neiman and Spencer Pumpelly are two of the three drivers in the GTE-Am No. 66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari F458 Italia.
- Dempsey Racing’s GTE-Am entry with Proton Competition (No. 77) features the only all-American driver lineup: Patrick Dempsey, Joe Foster and Patrick Long.
- A pair of Americans, Cooper MacNeil and Bret Curtis (No. 79) will be in the WeatherTech-backed Proton Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, a 2012-spec car in GTE-Am.
- Frankie Montecalvo (No. 90) replaces Enzo Potolicchio in the 8Star Motorsports’ Ferrari F458 Italia.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The clash of the titans has gone Team Penske’s way so far. But next weekend’s race at Dover could see the tide turn in favor of Hendrick Motorsports.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Andre Lotterer reflects on the openness of FIA WEC and Super Formula compared to his one-off Grand Prix appearance in Belgium.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The FIA WEC headed to Texas this weekend. Here are some thoughts on how it went down.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Both the TUDOR Championship and Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge put on a show in Austin this weekend.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Audi 1-2 leads FIA WEC winners at COTA.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Reliability woes have left Nico Rosberg reeling. If he doesn’t respond at Suzuka, it could be game over.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
German driver does well to keep his anger in check in his post-race video blog.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Vijay Mallya delighted as Force India makes 2014 its most successful season since entering F1 back in 2008.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has put himself back in control of the 2014 F1 world championship after a great win in Singapore as teammate Nico Rosberg retired.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Millen scores his second win of 2014, while YouTube icon Block takes an 18-point lead in the championship with two races left in the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Courtney Force (Funny Car), Dave Connolly (Pro Stock) and Andrew Hines (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were the winners in Sunday’s final rounds of the NHRA FallNationals in Ennis, Texas.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The talented rookie continues to duel with the Chasers at New Hampshire before finishing second to Joey Logano.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
As the Chase for the Sprint Cup moves to Dover for next Sunday’s third race of the playoffs, nine drivers will be fighting elimination by vying for five advancement spots there.
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
Brad Keselowski started from the pole, led the second-most number of laps in the race (78), overcame a late wreck and still almost won Sunday’s Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Prior to last week’s opening race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup, Kevin Harvick said it would take wins and uncanny consistency to advance to the final four, winner-take-all battle in the season-ending race at Homestead.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
The Connecticut native joins Penske teammate Brad Keselowski in the Contender Round with his victory at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Kenseth was running in the Top 10, when Paul Menard washed up into him and sent him spinning into the wall with 31 laps to go at New Hampshire.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Kurt Busch had a tire rub on his Haas Automation Chevrolet when the right front tire appeared to blow on Lap 222 of the 300-lap Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, sending him hard into the wall and suffering right front end damage.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Several drivers in the Chase for the Sprint Cup suffered damage to their respective race cars in a wreck that involved Matt Kenseth, Kyle Busch, Kasey Kahne and Ryan Newman with just over 100 laps to go in Sunday’s Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
4 p.m. ET – Already several laps down, Hamlin was caught in a multi-car crash that also involved Martin Truex Jr., David Ragan, and Cole Whitt.
Video from NASCAR America
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2