Jun 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One of the things that’s always cool to watch at the 24 Hours of Le Mans is the American presence. Here’s a quick primer on the 18 American drivers (4 LMP2, 2 GTE-Pro, 12 GTE-Am) in this year’s race:
- David Cheng, Chinese-born but sharing U.S. and Hong Kong residence, makes his 24 Hours of Le Mans debut in the No. 33 OAK Racing Team Asia Ligier JS P2 HPD in LMP2. Cheng is the 2013 Asian Le Mans Series champion and also has a PC class win at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on his resume.
- Matt McMurry and Chris Dyson share the seat of the No. 42 Caterham Racing Zytek Z11SN Nissan (LMP2). McMurry, 16, will set a record as the youngest driver ever to compete at Le Mans and is Dyson Racing’s first Junior Development Driver. Mentor and teammate Dyson returns to Le Mans as a driver for the first time since 2009.
- The brothers Ricky and Jordan Taylor, who drive for Wayne Taylor Racing in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, are split at Le Mans. Ricky will co-drive the No. 50 Larbre Competition Morgan Judd in LMP2; Jordan is one of two Americans in Corvette Racing’s six-driver lineup, sharing the No. 73 Corvette C7.R.
- Former Le Mans class winner Tommy Milner shares the No. 74 Corvette C7.R. He and Jordan Taylor are the only two Americans in the GTE-Pro class.
- South African born Mark Patterson races under U.S. nationality and shares the No. 53 Ram Racing Ferrari F458 Italia in GTE-Am.
- One of only four U.S.-entered teams, Krohn Racing was a late GTE-Am entrant due to Strakka Racing’s withdrawal and team principal Tracy Krohn is again back in the No. 57 Ferrari F458 Italia.
- Bronze-rated gentlemen drivers Peter Ashley Mann (No. 60) and Howard Blank (No. 62) are in two of AF Corse’s four GTE-Am entered Ferrari F458 Italias.
- Flying Lizard Motorsports TUDOR United SportsCar Championship drivers Seth Neiman and Spencer Pumpelly are two of the three drivers in the GTE-Am No. 66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari F458 Italia.
- Dempsey Racing’s GTE-Am entry with Proton Competition (No. 77) features the only all-American driver lineup: Patrick Dempsey, Joe Foster and Patrick Long.
- A pair of Americans, Cooper MacNeil and Bret Curtis (No. 79) will be in the WeatherTech-backed Proton Competition Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, a 2012-spec car in GTE-Am.
- Frankie Montecalvo (No. 90) replaces Enzo Potolicchio in the 8Star Motorsports’ Ferrari F458 Italia.
Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch
Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT
With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
All the notes and numbers to keep in mind for NASCAR’s visit to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
One last bit of fun for Hamlin, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Michael Waltrip before the Sprint Cup Series returns to action at Indianapolis.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Indianapolis Motor Speedway delivers a bizarre take on the classic “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” ads.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s TORC: The Off-Road Championship races from Bark River, Michigan. NBCSN will air the races on Sun., Aug. 3, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…
Jul 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Chevrolet dominates the results sheet for IndyCar in Toronto.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Writer’s Note: The following is a recap of this weekend’s Pirelli World Challenge races from the streets of Toronto. NBCSN will broadcast the Toronto races on Sunday, Aug. 10, at 1:30 p.m. ET. If you don’t want to know who won until then, we suggest you find another post to read here on MotorSportsTalk…
Jul 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Quartet of Hondas could have stolen the second of the Honda Indy Toronto races if not for the final red flag.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Podiums and successful damage limitation pay dividends for Team Penske teammates Will Power and Helio Castroneves in Toronto.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Opportunistic Mike Conway and Ed Carpenter Racing delivered on their opportunity to succeed once again in Toronto.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Sebastien Bourdais is back to winning form in the Verizon IndyCar Series – and that’s a good thing for him and the series.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Stewards deem it to be a racing incident, but Massa is less than impressed by Magnussen’s move.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
German driver continues his points scoring streak on home soil.
NHRA finals at Bandimere: Robert Hight over John Force in Funny Car, J.R. Todd wins first Top Fuel race since 2008
Jul 21, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
If you’re an NHRA Funny Car fan and weren’t able to attend in person, suffice to say it was a heck of a battle in Sunday’s finals of the Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway in suburban Denver.
Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together
Jul 20, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Todd Gilliland has learned virtually everything he knows about racing from his father, Sprint Cup driver David Gilliland, and grandfather and dominating former west coast racer Butch Gilliland.
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 6
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0
- Conway bags second Toronto win thanks to pit gamble, great restart (VIDEO) 4
- German GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1