Jun 10, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
There’s always a healthy contingent of former Formula One race drivers who compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the 2014 edition is no different.
The following list does not include drivers such as Neel Jani (No. 14 Porsche 919 Hybrid, LMP1-H), for example, who practiced on a Grand Prix weekend but never started a Grand Prix.
Here’s a breakdown of each one of them, with their Le Mans entry by their name.
- Lucas di Grassi (No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron Quattro, LMP1-H)
- Alexander Wurz/Stephane Sarrazin/Kazuki Nakajima (No. 7 Toyota TS040 Hybrid, LMP1-H)
- Anthony Davidson/Sebastien Buemi (No. 8 Toyota TS040 Hybrid, LMP1-H)
- Nick Heidfeld (No. 12 Rebellion R-One Toyota, LMP1-L)
- Mark Webber (No. 20 Porsche 919 Hybrid, LMP1-H)
- Mika Salo (No. 27 SMP Racing Oreca 03 Nissan, LMP2)
- Marc Gene (No. 38 Jota Sport Zytek Z11SN Nissan, LMP2)
- Christian Klien (No. 43 Newblood by Morand Morgan Judd, LMP2)
- Karun Chandhok (No. 48 Murphy Prototypes Oreca 03 Nissan, LMP2)
- Gianmaria Bruni/Giancarlo Fisichella (No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia, GTE-Pro)
- Olivier Beretta (No. 71 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia, GTE-Pro)
- Jan Magnussen (No. 73 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R, GTE-Pro)
- Bruno Senna (No. 97 Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage, GTE-Pro)
- Shinji Nakano (No. 70 Team Taisan Ferrari F458 Italia, GTE-Am)
- Pedro Lamy (No. 98 Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage, GTE-Am)
Note that only one of Audi’s nine drivers and only one of Porsche’s six have past F1 experience, while five of six for Toyota come from the F1 ranks.
By class, it’s 8 in LMP1, 4 in LMP2, 5 in GTE-Pro and 2 in GTE-Am for a total of 19 ex-F1 drivers in this year’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3