Jun 10, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
There’s always a healthy contingent of former Formula One race drivers who compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the 2014 edition is no different.
The following list does not include drivers such as Neel Jani (No. 14 Porsche 919 Hybrid, LMP1-H), for example, who practiced on a Grand Prix weekend but never started a Grand Prix.
Here’s a breakdown of each one of them, with their Le Mans entry by their name.
- Lucas di Grassi (No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron Quattro, LMP1-H)
- Alexander Wurz/Stephane Sarrazin/Kazuki Nakajima (No. 7 Toyota TS040 Hybrid, LMP1-H)
- Anthony Davidson/Sebastien Buemi (No. 8 Toyota TS040 Hybrid, LMP1-H)
- Nick Heidfeld (No. 12 Rebellion R-One Toyota, LMP1-L)
- Mark Webber (No. 20 Porsche 919 Hybrid, LMP1-H)
- Mika Salo (No. 27 SMP Racing Oreca 03 Nissan, LMP2)
- Marc Gene (No. 38 Jota Sport Zytek Z11SN Nissan, LMP2)
- Christian Klien (No. 43 Newblood by Morand Morgan Judd, LMP2)
- Karun Chandhok (No. 48 Murphy Prototypes Oreca 03 Nissan, LMP2)
- Gianmaria Bruni/Giancarlo Fisichella (No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia, GTE-Pro)
- Olivier Beretta (No. 71 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia, GTE-Pro)
- Jan Magnussen (No. 73 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R, GTE-Pro)
- Bruno Senna (No. 97 Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage, GTE-Pro)
- Shinji Nakano (No. 70 Team Taisan Ferrari F458 Italia, GTE-Am)
- Pedro Lamy (No. 98 Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage, GTE-Am)
Note that only one of Audi’s nine drivers and only one of Porsche’s six have past F1 experience, while five of six for Toyota come from the F1 ranks.
By class, it’s 8 in LMP1, 4 in LMP2, 5 in GTE-Pro and 2 in GTE-Am for a total of 19 ex-F1 drivers in this year’s race.
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 0
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 3
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6