Jun 11, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
A heavy accident for Loic Duval at the Porsche Curves in the No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro has put the Le Mans Free Practice session under a red flag, both to remove the car and repair the barriers.
Duval’s car sustained substantial damage in the accident, which thus far has not been shown on replay.
The car is being loaded onto a flatbed to be transported away from the scene.
In an interview with Radio Le Mans, Audi’s Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich reported Duval awake and alert.
Here’s a tweet from Audi Sport:
— Audi Sport (@Audi__Sport) June 11, 2014
Official statement from the ACO:
At 17h05, today Wednesday 11 June, the No.1 Audi left the track at very high speed at the Porsche Curves, at Marshals Post No.131. The incident occurred during the free practice session for the 82nd edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Conscious, the driver was taken into the care of the ACO’s Medical Services, extracted from the car to an ambulance and then immediately transported to the Le Mans’s Centre Hospitalier where he will undergo further examination.
His condition is encouraging.
The tests recommenced at 17h55.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 9
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0