Jun 11, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
A heavy accident for Loic Duval at the Porsche Curves in the No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro has put the Le Mans Free Practice session under a red flag, both to remove the car and repair the barriers.
Duval’s car sustained substantial damage in the accident, which thus far has not been shown on replay.
The car is being loaded onto a flatbed to be transported away from the scene.
In an interview with Radio Le Mans, Audi’s Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich reported Duval awake and alert.
Here’s a tweet from Audi Sport:
— Audi Sport (@Audi__Sport) June 11, 2014
Official statement from the ACO:
At 17h05, today Wednesday 11 June, the No.1 Audi left the track at very high speed at the Porsche Curves, at Marshals Post No.131. The incident occurred during the free practice session for the 82nd edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Conscious, the driver was taken into the care of the ACO’s Medical Services, extracted from the car to an ambulance and then immediately transported to the Le Mans’s Centre Hospitalier where he will undergo further examination.
His condition is encouraging.
The tests recommenced at 17h55.
- F1 Paddock Pass: Italian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 1
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 4
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4