Jun 12, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Toyota did not disappoint those who expected it to do well in in Thursday’s qualifying for the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans.
The No. 7 LM P1-H team of Alex Wurz, Stephane Sarrazin and Kazuki Nakajima will start the famous endurance race Saturday at the front of the field, capturing the pole with a best lap of 3:21.789, smashing last year’s pole time of 3:22.349.
The No. 14 Porsche 919 team will start second, earning a time of 3:22.146.
As for the LM P2 class, the No. 46 TDS Racing Thiriet Ligier JS P2 piloted by Pierre Thiriet, Ludovic Badey and Tristan Gommendy had a best lap of 3:37.609 to earn the pole.
The No. 38 Jota Sport Zytek-Nissan of Simon Dolan, Harry Tincknell and late substitute Oliver Turvey will start second, having a qualifying time of 3:37.674.
In the GTE-Pro class, the Ferrari 458 Italia took the pole with a time of 3:53.700, followed by Corvette Racing’s No. 73 at 3:54.777.
In the GTE-Am class, 2013 GP2 vice-champion Sam Bird earned the pole with a time of 3:54.665 in the No. 81 AF Corse. Aston Martin rides finished second and third in qualifying.
Much like Wednesday, Thursday’s session included a number of incidents that brought out red action-stopping flags.
Speaking of which, the No. 99 GTE-Pro Aston Martin has withdrawn from the contest due to damage suffered in a wreck Wednesday that could not be repaired in time.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar: Graham Rahal is halfway leader at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0