Jun 12, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
One of the impact part-timers in 2013 will be back in part for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series, as Luca Filippi has been confirmed in Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing’s second car at the Houston and Toronto doubleheader weekends.
That will make four starts for Filippi this year to go along with the four he made in 2013 with Bryan Herta Autosport, at Mid-Ohio, Baltimore and the two Houston races. At Houston Race 1 last year, he started eighth and finished 10th.
Filippi was supposed to drive with RLL in 2012 but could not put a deal together at that stage. He was also a front-runner for BHA’s seat this year, before that went to Jack Hawksworth.
“I’m extremely excited to join Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing because there is a lot of respect between myself and Bobby,” said Filippi, 28, about team co-owner Bobby Rahal. “We have been trying to find a way to work together for a long time and to finally have it happen is a great feeling. I really love the IndyCar Series. Since I first drove the car and experienced the atmosphere of the series, I have loved everything about it and can’t wait to get back in a car.”
Added team co-owner Rahal, “We tried to get Luca into the team a few years back and even went so far as to build a seat but we were unable to find the funding. In the meantime he went to Bryan Herta’s team and showed what he can do in the few races he ran for them. He has been successful in GP2 in Europe, amongst other series, for a number of years so I don’t think there is any question that he has the pace to run towards the front. On top of that, he is a real gentleman and we are looking forward to working with him and seeing how he can help the team progress.”
The RLL second car was driven by Oriol Servia for four races, at Long Beach, Barber and the two Indianapolis races.
Filippi’s RLL entry will feature associate sponsorship for the program will come from IMPCO and Fight SMA.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2