Joe Gibbs tires of Kyle Busch’s potty mouth at Pocono

Jun 12, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Steve Helber) AP

Joe Gibbs is a straight-laced, conservative and very religious man.

One of his drivers, Kyle Busch, is more of the fast-and-loose type, not afraid to speak what’s on his mind – even if the timing is wrong or is yet another example of Busch being at his less-than-classy best.

For the most part, Gibbs is like a fisherman: he has given Busch more than enough line when he doesn’t necessarily need to.

But sometimes even the coach has enough of Kyle being Kyle.

Such was the case during this past Sunday’s Pocono 400 at Pocono Raceway. Busch was having a trying day at the time with a car that, shall we say, was less than cooperating.

So to vent his anger at his ride, Busch started dropping one profanity after another, all to be heard over the team radio – and monitored by the thousands of fans with scanners in the grandstands.

One particular Busch rant, which seemed to have one curse word interjected with every other two or three normal words, finally caused Coach Joe to say enough is enough.

But rather than call Busch out on the radio, Gibbs played it cool, calm and discrete. He tapped crew chief Dave Rogers on the shoulder and in a low voice expressed his disdain.

Rogers got the message and passed along Gibbs’ exasperation.

Basically, Gibbs wanted Busch to stop having such a potty mouth.

Hey K-B, got coach [Gibbs] here on my shoulder telling me and you both to use better language on the radio.”

Oh, the humanity, Kyle Busch just got his hand slapped for all to see (and hear). Needless to say, Busch cleaned up his language – and his act – from that point on and finished a respectable 12th when the checkered flag dropped.

Kyle is probably lucky Gibbs didn’t take it a step further after the race and give Busch a spanking or try to wash his mouth out with soap. They certainly would have been merited.

Check out Busch’s rant (around 0:40) among some of the other key moments on team radios during Sunday’s race in the video below.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. dmoney666 - Jun 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Every time I hear that angry, spoiled, immature brat on his radio, I hope for the day someone punches him so hard in the face they break his nose and jaw.

• vsawmike - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Yea because assault is the answer. Moron

• quickdraw53 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

only moron here is you vsawmike. if busch fails to listen to reason it does take a good knock on the ass to get his attention. i am sure everyone in here knows who the real moron is

• krag76 - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Nothing else has worked. It’s time to give him a real attention getter

• FireDoc5 - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I was told when I was a young child that the use of habitual or excessive profanity just shows the ignorance of an individual’s vocabulary. It’s uncalled for. You can express the exact same message without ranting and raving. It is immature. But Busch knew he was on the radio and knew better. If he says that he just got caught up in the moment, then he needs to work on his temper. Coach Gibbs was right to say something about it. If it continues by anyone on his team he might have to come up with some kind of punishment. I’m not say something like the good old fashion swear jar, but he can be imaginative.
      This is just one of the things that makes me like either Busch driver even less.

• g2-0087f6f563ff60b84af3e1ff88ac0d03 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM

if it takes that for him to grow up, so be it

2. rdrfan - Jun 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM

That a boy KB say what’s on your mind not what people what you to say. That’s what’s wrong with things today. To many people to please and if they don’t line what you say you get fined. NBA, NFL

• kake526 - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Not when your BOSS is telling you to SHUT UP!

• runninggun1024runninggun1024 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM

His is job is to drive and win races

• kake526 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM

And SHUT UP!

• vsawmike - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:05 AM

too not to.

• kitnamania13 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Actually, its two. Your a idiot if you dont no that.

• revd4s - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM

vsawmike is correct. The spelling for rdrfan’s sentence should say “Too” many. Not two as kitnamania13 claims.

• kitnamania13 - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I think someone’s sarcasm detector is broken!

• krag76 - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM

There is a difference between saying what is on your mind and yelling like a fool saying nothing

3. extavernmouse - Jun 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

With as much trouble as it is to have Kyle around, could the Coach be thinking about having Carl Edwards in the #18 next year? From Subway to M&Ms?

• vsawmike - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Kyle has a contract. Dumb idea.

4. scamuel - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Kyle Busch is a POS scum azzhole trailer trash moron whose parentage is often in question, especially who his mother is or what she is. Gibbs should fire him and get a decent driver!

• rsipe2014 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM

You got issues… please seek out some help..

5. techmeister1 - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM

MSNBC – STOP with the friggin auto play commercials !!!

I don’t think we need drag the Brat Brother’s parents into this discussion as we have no knowledge of their upbringing – which may have been just fine???

What we do know is that both Kurt and Kyle as adults have mental health issues that are NOT being resolved even after extensive efforts by the appropriate people involved. These two brats think they are above the law and that they can do and say whatever they like because they have enough money and clout to buy their way out of their disrespectful, inappropriate and sometime illegal activities.

This needs to stop for their own good and everyone they come into contact with in any manner. Both Gibbs and CRASHCAR can intervene to bring this unacceptable behavior to an end – and both should. CRASHCAR and/or Gibbs can park Kyle for a month or more. The same can be done by CRASHCAR the next time Kurt goes off. There is absolutely nothing appropriate or acceptable in allowing these two to be abusive, offensive and disresepctful. They have had more “chances” than other people are ever given and they just can’t handle reality. If they are banned from racing – they will get the message and change or be out of the sport for the good of all concerned. Hero worship is NOT going to make these two respectable, responsible adults.

Enough is enough and that was a dozen outbursts ago.

6. manik56 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Call Kurt and Rick Hendrick and start Busch Racing. Gibbs should have more to worry about than bad language.

7. indycar02 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:14 PM

i cant believe the sponsors are ok with all this (?).

8. chad4208 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Im no fan of Kyle but the first amendment is the first amendment and anybody telling you, you dont have the right to express whats on your mind is no better than what you make your villains out to be. That being said, Words are just words. They have no power unless you GIVE them power and it seems CONSERVATIVE, RELIGIOUS people give random words a lot of unnecessary power.

• mikdavfle - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

The Constitution applies only to what the government can and cannot do to you. It can’t arrest you or me for swearing or using slurs. But if you’re in your workplace (which for Kyle Busch is that car and that race track) and your boss tells you to not use that language, you have to listen. And Gibbs wasn’t telling Kyle to not say what he thinks, he was just telling him to clean up the language.

Learn what the 1st Amendment really means before using that again.

• radicalthoughts690 - Jun 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM

chad4208 …. Seriously? Bringing politics into NASCAR? How in the flip does the 1st Amendment figure in here genius? The radio goes out on the scanner, thousands here it, including his boss. No matter what you think, 1st Amendment and all, you are employed and your boss dictates proper conduct while on duty. If he or you do not like it, find another job. Please, in the mean time, leave your liberal leftest views on CNN and out of here …K?

• chad4208 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Actually, my main point was the religious one. My point was “cursing” is anything said about the Holy spirit, God or Jesus in a negative context or even an extension of something else. “Holy Crap!” in the original, biblical meaning of Cursing is just as bad as any other derivative of the phrase. This has gotten twisted to the point it has become a set of words. The basis behind this having absolutely no good logic. (again we can explore the origins of the modern day version of cursing but there’s no point here) I was MEANING but probably not saying that the concept of “Cursing” being a set of words (with other words with equal meaning being okay) is idiotic and dumb and really should not be as it is in society. Of course there is a lot of things in society like that but few as common. And its usually conservative, religious folk that take it to heart the most, and I just dont get why. If we weren’t culturally influenced to think damn was bad, we would never know the difference between damn and darn and shoot used in the same context. (im being easy on the language out of respect) Its not the same as having something stolen from us or being punched in the face. We don’t need to be told thats bad to know we dont like it when it happens. However if a random person stubs there toe and says F$%^ and we have no previous cultural influence on certain words being bad, are we offended? Why would we be? Things are the way they are but that doesnt mean I cant grip about it and explain my POV. I do apologize for my crudeness in my first post

• nickirace - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Hey radical. If you are going to tell people to leave politics out of it (to which I agree), then you should do the same. His perspective is actually more a a far right conservative argument rather than a liberal leftists view…you seem confused. Up to then your post was respectable.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS: you are entitled to first ammendment rights of free speech, but your boss is entitled to his right to request your proper conduct and appropriate speech, and fire you if you choose not to adhere to the reasonable policies of employement. You do not have to abide by those rules if you are willing to quit your job, or get fired. That is the distinction – have free speech all you want, but be prepared to lose your job when your employer does not want your statements or language to be representative of company or owner. Your rights stop when you infringe on another’s rights. This is the same situation as occurred with Duck Dynasty.

• vsawmike - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Chad you are a moron. You need to get a clue and do a little research into the first amendment. It has nothing to do with what you as an employee can say or cannot say.

• chad4208 - Jun 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I wasnt meaning it that way. I was saying the concept of cursing as a group of words is moronic and only due to cultural influences, and therefore this really shouldn’t even be an issue in the first place.

• krag76 - Jun 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The 1st Amendment does not cover you at work. The 1st Amendment protects you from the government not your boss. You can say anything you want ,but be prepared to face the consequences of those words. Take a civics class

• chad4208 - Jun 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I am aware of that. That is not what I meant with my statements. I was meaning why people view “cursing” the way they do and thus creates this issue in the first place, not what your boss can and cannot do. I know I was unclear

9. sandywraps - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I don’t like Kyle Busch at all but I listen to the teams/drivers talk on the radio scanner when I’m at the race… and apparently what Kyle said Sunday was nothing compared to what I heard AJ say on the radio at the 600 the other weekend in Charlotte. AJ was threatening of wrecking the “f____” car on purpose along with several other expletive words… I love listening to them when they’re upset about the cars…. It shows their passion. The way I feel is if I hear something I don’t like, I can change the channel # on the scanner. I’m the one that is eavesdropping on their conversation. A conversation between driver, crew chief and spotter.

• nickirace - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM

It’s not a question of what other drivers said in comparison to Kyle. It was Kyle’s boss who didn’t want HIS employee to use language that JG felt was inappropriate for Kyle to use while representing the JGR company. It is more about the employer’s right to restrict an employee from using language or opinions contrary to the owner/company, while on company time. The simple result is Kyle stops or he can be fired without infringing on Kyle’s rights. What other drivers said has no bearing on this employer-employee relationship.

10. chad4208 - Jun 12, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Well I could provide a history of “cursing” and how its been twisted out of context over the years but I doubt that would help. People who get bent out of shape because of people (the Modern day age view of ) curing annoy me to no end. Unpopular view Im sure. I don’t care. However Kyles way of whining and complaining that his car sucks and that his pit crew should do better and bla everybody else screws up and its never him that ever messes up and he finishes 12th puts him in the category of a 5 year old bastard.

11. cmc080704 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Kyle Busch is an arrogant, potty mouthed, foul tempered brat…always has been, always will be. Anyone who thinks they can change him might just as well try to change a leopards spots, it’ll be alot easier. And anyone who thinks he needs anger management treatments is just dreaming, anger has nothing to do with it, he’s just a spoiled little boy! Put your big-boy drawers on, and grow up Kyle!

12. aug99 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

UNFORTUNATELY, THE BUSCH BOYS ALWAYS LET THEIR ATTITUDE GET N THE WAY OF THEIR SUCCESS.
    TONS OF TALENT.
    TENS OF TONS OF MOUTH.

13. rsipe2014 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

What a bunch of wimpy azz’d douches. It is evident that most of the posters here are not racers and have no competitive instincts other than running to the fridge for the last piece of cheese cake. Arm chair racing at its best…..

14. chad4208 - Jun 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Again my point was about language; why the language was even deemed inappropriate in the first place and the type of people who deem it inappropriate. Again I apologize for my first post being so crude and insulting, but read through my others

15. steelersnowand4ever - Jun 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM

manik56 – Jun 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I doubt Rick Hendrick woudl hire him back. Remember how KB was the first one to win with the COT and how he complained in victory lane about how the car sucked? Drove for Hendrick then…Just sayin’

Video from NASCAR America